Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cartesian coordinates and torque

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    This section I dont understand at all... but the problem is What is the torque tau_B due to force F_vec about the point B? (B is the point at Cartesian coordinates (0, b), located a distance b from the origin along the y axis.)
    Express the torque about point B in terms of F, theta, phi, pi, and/or other given coordinate data. an image can be found at
    http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1011042/19/MRB_rk_0.jpg

I put in F*b*sin(pi-(theta)) it noted that I was wrong... I dont understand? and thats just hte beginning of my problems in this section :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The torque "due to force F around point B" is the product the distance from B to the point at which F is applied and the component of F perpendicular to the line from B to the point where F is applied.

4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    so b*F*tan(pi-(theta)) ? I still dont understand I know if I do sin(pi-(theta)) Its opp over hyp so it would be parallel to b but Im not sure what trig woudl get it to go perp then

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook