HFinding Z-Limits in a Solid Horn Rotated Around the Y-Axis

In summary, the given problem involves finding the integral dzdxdy for a solid horn obtained by rotating a curve in the x-y plane, x = y^2/8, around the y-axis. The solid is confined between the planes y = 0 and y = 4, with a height of z = 2 at y = 4. The z-limits for the integral are ±√(y^4/64 - x^2).
jeff1evesque

Homework Statement

Solid horn obtained by rotating the points [tex] {[x=0], [0 \leq y \leq 4], [0 \leqz \leq \frac{1}{8}y^{2}] }[/tex] circles around y-axis of radius [tex]\frac{1}{8}y^2[/tex]. Set up the integral dzdxdy.

Homework Equations

Cartesian coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how the z-limits are [tex]\pm \sqrt{\frac{y^4}{64} - x^2}[/tex]? I understand that the z limits must involve x and y, but cannot come up with the latter conclusion.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think you have some typos. It's not clear what you mean here. You have, for instance, 0 is less than or equal to y^2/8. That gives no information as y^2 is greater than or equal to zero for all real numbers y.

Ja4Coltrane said:
I think you have some typos. It's not clear what you mean here. You have, for instance, 0 is less than or equal to y^2/8. That gives no information as y^2 is greater than or equal to zero for all real numbers y.

Well I suppose without looking at a picture, that may be a reasonable opinion- and hard to interpret. I've attached a picture, if that helps any.

Thanks a lot :smile:

JL

Attachments

• pic.bmp
    297 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:

I guess I am having difficulty determining the limits of this particular integration (in cartesian) along the z-axis.

It sometimes takes several hours for an attachment file to be approved, so if you could describe the solid in words, that would be helpful.

My guess as to how you have described the solid so far is that the curve in the x-y plane, x = y2/8, is revolved around the y-axis to form a solid. And you want the portion of this solid between the planes y = 0 and y = 4.

Is this a reasonable description?

Mark44 said:
It sometimes takes several hours for an attachment file to be approved, so if you could describe the solid in words, that would be helpful.

My guess as to how you have described the solid so far is that the curve in the x-y plane, x = y2/8, is revolved around the y-axis to form a solid. And you want the portion of this solid between the planes y = 0 and y = 4.

Is this a reasonable description?

Yup that sounds reasonable. Basically, if you could picture then end of a horn [perhaps a trumpet, beginning as a point on the origin and expanding out along the y-axis] with the y-axis going through the center, that's what this image looks like. At y = 4, the "horn" has a height of z = 2, which obviously rotates around the y-axis.

I actually solved this problem this morning with some help from other.

Thanks,

JL

1. What are Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are a method of representing points in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. They consist of two or three numerical values, known as x and y (and sometimes z), which indicate a point's position along the horizontal and vertical axes.

2. How do you plot points using Cartesian coordinates?

To plot a point using Cartesian coordinates, you must first determine the x and y (and z, if applicable) values for the point. Then, you can locate the point on the graph by moving along the horizontal and vertical axes until you reach the correct values.

3. What is the difference between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a different method of representing points in a two-dimensional space, using a distance and angle from a fixed point (known as the origin). Cartesian coordinates, on the other hand, use numerical values along the x and y axes to locate points on a graph.

4. How are Cartesian coordinates used in science?

Cartesian coordinates are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful for representing and analyzing data in two or three-dimensional spaces, such as in graphs, maps, and diagrams.

5. What is the Cartesian coordinate system used for?

The Cartesian coordinate system is used for locating points in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. It provides a standardized method for identifying and representing points in a graph or diagram, making it easier to analyze and compare data in a visual format.