Can someone help me with calculating cartesian coordinates for a moving object?

In summary, the problem is to calculate the cartesian coordinates of an object after it has traveled a distance of D units in a straight line from its starting location at L1 towards L2, given the cartesian coordinates of L1 and L2 and the distance D. The solution involves finding the distance between L1 and L2, and then using that to calculate the coordinates of any point on the line connecting L1 and L2. Setting t=D will give the coordinates of the object at the desired distance D from L1.
Ralgar
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a formula to solve the following problem.

I have two locations (L1 and L2), which I know the cartesian coordinates of, situated in a three dimensional space. I also have a distance (D) which I also know the value of. D is not the distance between L1 and L2. If an object moves from it's starting location at L1 in a straight line towards L2, how do I calculate the cartesian coordinates of the object after it has traveled a distance of D units.

I'd certainly appreciate any assistance in this.

Cheers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let L1= (x1,y1,z1) and
L2= (x2,y2,z2).

Let d= distance from L2 to L1= [sqrt]((x2-x1)2+(y2-y1)2+(z2-z1)2).

The any point on the line through L2 and L1 has coordinates
x= x1+ (x2-x1)(t/d)
y= y1+ (y2-y1(t/d)
z= z1+ (z2-z1)(t/d)

(notice that when t= 0, this is x= x1 and when t= d, this is x= x2, etc.)

In particular, taking t= D will give the coordinates of the point at distance D from L1 in the direction of L2.

Thank you.

What are Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, are a system of coordinates used to locate points in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. They are named after the French mathematician and philosopher René Descartes, who developed the system.

What is the difference between Cartesian and polar coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates use a system of x and y coordinates to locate a point, while polar coordinates use a distance from the origin and an angle to locate a point. The two systems can be converted into each other using mathematical equations.

How are Cartesian coordinates used in mathematics and science?

Cartesian coordinates are used in various fields of mathematics and science, such as geometry, physics, and engineering. They are essential for graphing shapes and equations, calculating distances and angles, and representing physical phenomena in a quantifiable way.

What are the advantages of using Cartesian coordinates?

One of the main advantages of Cartesian coordinates is that they provide a simple and intuitive way to represent points and shapes in a coordinate system. This makes it easier to visualize and understand mathematical and scientific concepts. Additionally, Cartesian coordinates can be easily extended to higher dimensions, making them useful in more complex situations.

How can I plot points using Cartesian coordinates?

To plot a point using Cartesian coordinates, you will need to determine its x and y values and then plot it on a graph. The x value represents the horizontal position of the point, while the y value represents the vertical position. The point is located at the intersection of the x and y axes.