1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian equation of a line

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the vector equation of the line that passes through the point Q(2,0,-5) and
    is perpendicular to both the vectors m=(0,1,4) and n=(-2,-1,3).

2. Relevant equations
    vector equation of a line: (x, y, z)=(x0,y0,z0) + t(a,b,c)
    cartesian equation of a line: (x-x0)/a=(y-y0)/b=(z-z0)/c

3. The attempt at a solution
    (x0,y0,z0)=(2,0,5)
    To find (a,b,c)I know I can get two equations because the dot product of (a,b,c) with the two perpendicular lines equals zero:
    b+4c=0
    -2a-b+3c=0
    But two equations isn't enough to solve for three variables. Also, shouldn't the point (2,0,-5) also dot product with u or v to equal zero, since it's on the same line?
    Is it correct to assume that the points (0,1,4) and (-2,-1,3) are also points on the line? In which case I can easily find the direction of the line by subtracting one from the other.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The cross product of <0, 1, 4> and <-2, -1, 3> will give you a vector that is perpendicular to both. That's the vector you need to write your line in either its vector form or in Cartesian form.

4. Apr 5, 2010 #3
    Man, I can't believe I didn't think of that myself. thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook