1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian form of a Hyperbola

1. Dec 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is it necessarily true that for a hyperbola, the focus length, ##f ## has got to be greater than the semi-major axis , ## a## - ## f >a ## ?

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    I needed to derive the cartesian equation of a hyperbola with centre at ## (\alpha,\beta) ## and foci along the ##\alpha - ## axis. using the definition that the difference between the distances to the two foci is a constant. After some algebra, I just got back the equation of an ellipse.

$$ \frac{(x-\alpha)^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{(y-\beta)^{2}}{a^{2}-f^{2}}=1 $$

Of course I realise that this is also the equation of a hyperbola, under the condition that ## f>a ## so that :
    $$ \frac{(x-\alpha)^{2}}{a^{2}}-\frac{(y-\beta)^{2}}{a^{2}-f^{2}}=1 $$

But I'm stuck at proving that this condition is, in general true, just from the definition given.

Could someone give me a hint?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think you forgot to swap the signs in the denominator in the second equation.

We just call shapes with f>a "hyperbola" and with f<a "ellipse", they get different names because they look so different. In particular, a hyperbola has solutions for arbitrarily large x and y, which means the two summands must have different signs, whereas they have the same sign for an ellipse.

4. Dec 24, 2014 #3
    Yes, sorry I did! So the definition of the hyperbola as being the locus where there is a constant difference between the distances to two foci is incomplete? I need to know that ## f>a ## on top - I can't prove that just from this definition?

5. Dec 24, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

f>a should follow from that requirement.

6. Dec 24, 2014 #5
    That's my difficulty, I don't know how to show that it must follow... :P

In full my working currently looks like this - I'll borrow this convenient wolfram diagram for the symbols. Although the diagrams show clearly that ## f>a ## I do not think I assume this in my calculation. I've dropped the shift in the centre of the co-ordinate system because it doesn't really matter and obscures the working. (so centre is now (0,0) not ##(\alpha, \beta ) ##

HyperbolaFoci_750.gif
    Let ## r_{2}= F_{2}P \ , \ r_{1} = F_{1}P ##

$$ r_{2}-r_{1} =C \implies \sqrt{(x-f)^{2}+y^{2}}-\sqrt{(x+f)^{2}+y^{2}} =C $$
    $$ \therefore (x-f)^{2}+y^{2} = C^{2}+(x+f)^{2}+y^{2}+2C\sqrt{(x+f)^{2}+y^{2}} $$
    $$ \implies -4xf=C^{2}+2C \sqrt{(x+f)^{2}+y^{2}} $$
    $$ (C+4x \frac{f}{C})^{2}=4(x+f)^{2}+4y^{2} $$
    $$ C^{2}+16\frac{x^{2}f^{2}}{C^{2}}+8xf = 4x^{2}+8xf+4f^{2} + 4y^{2} $$
    $$ C^{2}-4f^{2} = 4x^{2}(\frac{C^{2}-4f^{2}}{C^{2}})+4y^{2} \implies \frac{4x^{2}}{C^{2}}+\frac{4y^{2}}{C^{2}-4f^{2}} =1 $$

From above ,at ## y =0 \ , \ 2x =C ## By definition of the semi-major axis of the hyperbola, if ## y= 0 \implies x=a ##

$$ \therefore \frac{x^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{y^{2}}{a^{2}-f^{2}}=1 $$

But from here I can't see how to retrieve the minus sign.
    Thanks!!

7. Dec 24, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

If C>2f (which corresponds to f<a as 2a=C), you do not get any solution of your original equation. The squaring process fakes an additional solution which has a meaning for an ellipse, but not here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted