Show the Solution to a Cartesian Oval Homework Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the equation of an interface curve using the given information about the points S and P. The attempt at a solution involves using the concept of constant time and the velocity of light in vacuum to determine the equation. The solution was found using this approach.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

See the picture for the situation of the problem.
I'm told that any ray starting from S and getting through the "Cartesian Oval" reach point P.
I must show that the equation of the interface curve is [tex]l_0n_1+l_i n_2=K[/tex] where K is a constant.
So far I've showed that [tex]l_0=\sqrt {x^2+y^2}[/tex] and [tex]l_i=\sqrt {y^2+(s_0 + s_i -x)^2}[/tex]. But I remain stuck as how to proceed further.
Any idea is greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

Snell's law? I've tried something with it but didn't reach anything.
Maybe Fermat's principle?

The Attempt at a Solution

See above.

Attachments

• scan1.jpg
    scan1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org

Since the points S and P are fixed, the total time taken by the light to travel from S to P must be constant.
So t1 = l1/v1 and t2 = l2/v2
Now v1 = C/n1 and v2 = C/n2, where C is the velocity of the light in vacuum.
Hence find t = t1 + t2 = ...?

Last edited:

rl.bhat said:
Since the points S and P are fixed, the total time taken by the light to travel from S to P must be constant.
So t1 = l1/v1 and t2 = l2/v2
Now v1 = C/n1 and v2 = C/n2, where C is the velocity of the light.
Hence find t = t1 + t2 = ...?

Thank you so much! Really bright and not complicated. Yet I totally missed it.
Problem solved!

1. What is a Cartesian oval?

A Cartesian oval is a type of curve in the Cartesian coordinate system that is formed by the intersection of two sets of circles with equal radii.

2. How do you solve a Cartesian oval homework problem?

To solve a Cartesian oval homework problem, you need to use the equation for a Cartesian oval and plug in the given coordinates to find the solution.

3. What are the key steps in solving a Cartesian oval problem?

The key steps in solving a Cartesian oval problem include identifying the equation for the oval, plugging in the given coordinates, simplifying the equation, and solving for any unknown variables.

4. What are some tips for solving a Cartesian oval problem?

Some tips for solving a Cartesian oval problem include understanding the properties of ovals, visualizing the problem, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps.

5. What are some real-life applications of Cartesian ovals?

Cartesian ovals have many real-life applications, including in optics, engineering, and architecture. They can also be used to model various natural phenomena, such as the orbits of planets and the shapes of soap bubbles.