Cartesian , Polar and Exponential FormHelp needed thanks .

In summary, the given number -2(cos pi/4 + i sin pi/4) can be converted to Cartesian form as -sqrt(2)/2 - i(sqrt(2)/2), to Polar form as 2e^(i(pi/4)), and to Exponential form as 2 \sqrt(2)e^(i(pi/4)). The equations for converting between these forms are x = r cos theta, y = r sin theta, x^2 + y^2 = r^2, tan theta = y/x, and e^(i theta) = cos theta + i sin theta.
mikecrush
Express -2(cos pai/4+i sin pai/4 ) in Cartesian , Polar and Exponential form ?

how can i convert this : - 2 (cos pai / 4 + i sin pai / 4 ) to Cartesian , Polar and Exponential form ?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mikecrush - any ideas on how to try & solve it?

worth starting by having a look at the definition/properties of complex exponentials

So the number is [itex]-2(\cos \pi/4 + i \sin \pi/4)[/itex].

Do you know what the definitions of Cartesian, Polar, and Exponential forms are?

You may need the following equations:

[tex]\begin{array}{c}x=r\cos \theta \\
y=r \sin \theta \\
x^2 + y^2 = r^2 \\
\tan \theta = \frac{y}{x}\\
e^{i \theta} = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta
\end{array}[/tex]​

--Elucidus

What is Cartesian form?

Cartesian form, also known as rectangular form, is a way to represent complex numbers using their real and imaginary components. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

What is Polar form?

Polar form is another way to represent complex numbers. It is written in the form r(cosθ + i sinθ), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the angle it makes with the positive real axis.

What is Exponential form?

Exponential form is a way to write complex numbers using Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cosx + i sinx. It is written as re^(iθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle of the complex number.

What are the advantages of using Cartesian form?

Cartesian form is useful for performing arithmetic operations on complex numbers, as addition and subtraction can be done by combining real and imaginary components separately.

When is it more appropriate to use Polar or Exponential form?

Polar or Exponential form is more suitable when dealing with complex numbers in polar coordinates, such as in physics or engineering problems involving polar coordinates. It is also useful for visualizing and understanding the geometric properties of complex numbers.