Cartesian , Polar and Exponential FormHelp needed thanks .

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to convert a complex number (-2(cos(\pi/4)+ i sin(\pi/4))) to its Cartesian, Polar, and Exponential forms. The solution involves understanding the definitions of polar form and evaluating the trigonometric functions. The "r" in polar form cannot be negative, and the exponential form is expressed as re^{i\theta}.
mikecrush

Homework Statement

how can i convert this : - 2 (cos pai / 4 + i sin pai / 4 ) to Cartesian , Polar and Exponential form ?

Homework Equations

z = ( a + i b)

The Attempt at a Solution

r= -2
tan inverse = pai/4 / pai/4
??

Thank you very much for helping me out

Physics news on Phys.org
It is already almost in "polar form". If you did not see that immediately, you need to review the definitions. The only reason it is not already in polar form is because the "r" in "[itex]r (cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex]" cannot be negative. Draw the line with [itex]\theta= \pi/4[/itex] and go backwards: [itex]-2(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))= 2(cos(\theta+ \pi)+ i sin(\theta+ \pi)[/itex]

On thing you should know is that the "r" in a polar
To change to "Cartesian form", just evaluate the functions. What is [itex]cos(\pi/4)[/itex]? What is [itex]sin(-\pi/4)[/itex]? What are [itex]-2 cos(\pi/4)[/itex] and [itex]-2 sin(\pi/4)[/itex]?

The "exponential form" of [itex]r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/itex] is [itex]r e^{i\theta}[/itex]. Again, r cannnot be negative.

with this problem! Converting between different forms of complex numbers, such as Cartesian, Polar, and Exponential forms, is an important skill in the field of mathematics and science. Let's go through each of these forms and see how we can convert the given complex number into each of them.

First, let's start with Cartesian form, which is in the form z = a + ib. To convert the given complex number, -2 (cos π/4 + i sin π/4), into Cartesian form, we need to use the trigonometric identities cos π/4 = √2/2 and sin π/4 = √2/2. This gives us -2 (√2/2 + i√2/2). Simplifying further, we get -√2 - i√2 as the Cartesian form of the given complex number.

Next, let's move on to Polar form, which is in the form z = r(cos θ + i sin θ). Here, r represents the magnitude of the complex number and θ represents the angle in radians. To convert the given complex number into Polar form, we need to use the modulus and argument of the complex number. The modulus, r, is equal to the absolute value of the complex number, which in this case is 2. The argument, θ, can be found using the inverse tangent function, as you have correctly done in your attempt. Therefore, the Polar form of the given complex number is 2(cos π/4 + i sin π/4).

Lastly, let's look at Exponential form, which is in the form z = re^(iθ). To convert the given complex number into Exponential form, we need to use the Euler's formula, e^(iθ) = cos θ + i sin θ. This gives us -2e^(iπ/4). Simplifying further, we get -2(cos π/4 + i sin π/4) as the Exponential form of the given complex number.

I hope this helps you understand how to convert between Cartesian, Polar, and Exponential forms of complex numbers. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with these conversions. Good luck with your homework!

What is Cartesian form?

Cartesian form is a way of representing complex numbers using the horizontal x-axis and vertical y-axis on a graph. It is also known as rectangular form or standard form.

What is Polar form?

Polar form is another way of representing complex numbers using the distance (magnitude) from the origin and the angle (argument) from the positive x-axis on a graph. It is also known as trigonometric form or exponential form.

How do I convert from Cartesian form to Polar form?

To convert from Cartesian form (x + yi) to Polar form (r(cosθ + isinθ)), you can use the following formulas: r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x). Keep in mind that the angle θ should be in radians.

How do I convert from Polar form to Cartesian form?

To convert from Polar form (r(cosθ + isinθ)) to Cartesian form (x + yi), you can use the following formulas: x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ. Keep in mind that the angle θ should be in radians.

What are the advantages of using Exponential form?

Exponential form is useful for simplifying complex numbers that involve raising a number to a power. It also allows for easier multiplication and division of complex numbers, as well as finding roots and powers of complex numbers.