1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian -> Spherical polar

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    I have an integral [tex]\int \int_S x^2 + yz \ dS[/tex]

and wish to transform to spherical polar coordinates. How does dS become

[tex] dS = r^2 \sin \theta d\theta d\phi [/tex]??

Where surface S is [tex]x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are two ways of looking at this.

First, a rather rough "geometrical" look. Imagine an infinitesmal "rectangle" on the sphere having "top" at [itex]\phi[/itex] and "bottom" at [itex]\phi+ d\phi[/itex], "left" at [itex]\theta[/itex] and "right" at [itex]\theta+ d\theta[/itex]. The left and right, "lines of longitude", are great circles, with radius the radius of the sphere, 1. The length of those two sides is [itex]1(d\phi)= d\phi[/itex]. The top and bottom, "lines of latitude", are not great circles. Their centers lie on the line through the poles, (0,0,1) and (0,0,-1). Given a point on one of those circles, drop a perpendicular to that vertical line. You have a right triangle with one leg being the radius of the circle, r, the hypotenuse the radius of the circle, 1, and angle at the center [itex]\phi[/itex]. Then [itex]r/1= sin(\phi)[/itex] so the radius of the circle is [itex]sin(\phi)[/itex] and the length of the arc on the sphere is [itex]sin(\phi)d\theta[/itex]. The area of the "rectangle" is (width times height) [itex]sin(\phi)d\theta d\phi[/itex].

A more rigorous calculation involves the "fundamental vector product" which is worth knowing on its own. Any smooth surface, since a surface is two dimensional, can be written in terms of two parameters: x= f(u,v), y= g(u,v), z= h(u,v) which can also be written as the vector equation: [itex]\vec{r}= f(u,v)\vec{i}+ g(u,v)\vec{j}+ h(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex]. The derivatives of that with respect to the two variables, [itex]\vec{r_u}= f_u(u,v)\vec{i}+ g_u(u,v)\vec{j}+ h_u(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r_v}= f_v(u,v)\vec{i}+ g_v(u,v)\vec{j}+ h_v(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex] are vectors in the tangent plane to the surface at each point. The cross product then, [itex]\vec{r_u}\times\vec{r_v}[/itex], the "fundamental vector product", is perpendicular to the surface and, because of the derivatives, its length measures the area of an infinitesmal region: [itex]dS= \left|\vec{r_u}\times\vec{r_v}\right|dudv[/itex].

The spherical coordinates are connected to the cartesian coordinates by [itex]x= \rho cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= \rho sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]z= \rho cos(\phi)[/itex] and we can take those as parametric coordinates for the unit sphere by taking [itex]\rho= 1[/itex]: [itex]x= cos(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]z= cos(\phi)[/itex] or [itex]\vec{r}= cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/itex]. The derivatives are [itex]\vec{r_\theta}= -sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r_\phi}= cos(\theta)cos(\phi)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)cos(\phi)\vec{j}- sin(\phi)\vec{k}[/itex]. The cross product of those is [itex]cos(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{j}+ sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/itex] which has length [itex]\sqrt{cos^2(\theta)sin^4(\phi)+ sin^2(\theta)sin^4(\phi)+ sin^2(\phi)cos^2(\phi)}[/itex][itex]= \sqrt{sin^4(\phi)+ sin^2(\phi)cos^2(\phi)}[/itex][itex]= \sqrt{sin^2(\phi)(sin^2(\phi)+ cos^2(\phi))}[/itex][itex]= sin(\phi)[/itex]. That gives [itex]dS= sin(\phi)d\phi d\theta[/itex].

By the way, my [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] are reversed from yours. Mathematics notation (mine) uses [itex]\theta[/itex] as "longitude" and [itex]\phi[/itex] as "co-latitude". Engineering notation reverses those.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook