Calculating Friction Force in a Truck Accelerating at 2.27 m/s^2

In summary, the problem involves a 20.0 kg packing case at rest on the floor of a 1400-kg pickup truck. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are given as 0.30 and 0.20 respectively. The question asks to find the magnitude and direction of the friction force on the case when the truck accelerates at 2.27 m/s^2 northward. The relevant equations are Fk = (coefficient of kinectic)N, Fs = (coefficient of static)N, and F = ma. The case is not sliding, so the forces acting on it are the normal force and the friction force. The equation of motion for the case can be written as \Sigma
azila

Homework Statement

A 20.0 kg packing case is initially at rest on the floor of a 1400-kg pickup truck. The coefficient of static friction between the case and the truck floor is 0.30, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20. Before each acceleration given below, the truck is traveling due north at constant speed.

A. Find the magnitude of the friction force acting on the case when the truck accelerates at 2.27 m/s^2 northward.

B. Find the direction of the friction force acting on the case when the truck accelerates at 2.27 m/s^2.

Homework Equations

Fk = (coefficient of kinectic)N
Fs = (coefficient of static)N
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, first of all when I calculate the weight, I would combine the masses of the truck and the case right? should I use the F=ma formula and plug in the masses and acceleration. Find the force. Now, what do I do?? This is where I am confused. If you can help, I would appreciate it. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the forces acting on the case? Is the case sliding in the truck... or is it not sliding?

the case is not sliding...it is just sitting in the truck;

azila said:
the case is not sliding...it is just sitting in the truck;

Ok. What are the forces acting on the case? Write the [tex]\Sigma\vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/tex] equation for the case.

What is friction force?

Friction force is the resistance force that acts against the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. It is caused by the interaction of microscopic imperfections on the surfaces of the two objects.

How is friction force calculated?

The formula for calculating friction force is F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. In the case of a truck accelerating at 2.27 m/s^2, the friction force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the truck's tires and the road surface by the weight of the truck.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is a dimensionless quantity and is dependent on the materials and surface conditions of the two objects in contact.

How does acceleration affect friction force?

The acceleration of an object does not directly affect the friction force. However, as an object accelerates, the normal force acting on it may change, which in turn can affect the friction force. In the case of a truck accelerating at 2.27 m/s^2, the normal force may increase due to the weight shift caused by the acceleration, resulting in a higher friction force.

What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the surface roughness, the type of material, the presence of lubricants or contaminants, and the temperature. Changes in any of these factors can alter the coefficient of friction and therefore affect the friction force.