1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Casein in water solution

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    What happens when you put protein in water?

I know that an amino acid in water vill dissolve into:
    [tex]^{+}H_3 N-CHR-COO^{-}[/tex]
    As protein is built up by over 50 amino acids, will the very same thing (as the formula above) happen to it?

(My homework is to explain why Casein produces a residue when put into a water solution with pH≈4,6)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Protein is in a way similar to a single amino acid. You should be able to see it if you draw a simple protein, say GlyGlyGly.

4. Nov 5, 2011 #3
    I think this is the answer to the question why Casein produces a residue when put into a water solution with pH≈4,6 (but I'm very uncertain)

At that pH, this is what happens:

[itex] H_2N-CHR-COOH \rightarrow ^{+}H_3N-CHR-COO^{-} [/itex] (Amino acid put into water solution)

[itex] pH ≈ pI \Rightarrow [^{+}H_3N-CHR-COOH] = [H_2N-CHR-COO^{-}] [/itex]

This leads us to the fact that there are no repulsive forces between the amino acids, thus the R-group of the amino acids of Casein are able to attract each other via van der Waals-bonds.
    When pH≠pI the protein can not come together, because of the repulsive forces.

Correct, or incorrect?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook