PA Judge Sentenced to Prison for Kickbacks from Jail Facility

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Judge
In summary: Yes, there was an episode of Law and Order where a judge was convicted of taking kickbacks from a private detention facility. The episode was called "Judgment Night".
SW VandeCarr
A 61 year old judge in Pennsylvania was sentenced to prison for taking kickbacks from a "for profit" jail facility. He was one of two judges convicted for giving jail time to mostly young offenders found guilty of relatively minor offenses for the purpose, at least in part, of earning his illegal remuneration. One of his victims committed suicide. I have to say, the stench of judicial corruption rises to new levels with these cases IMO. What's your view? Does anyone know of anything like this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ck-private-jail-builder-lock-children-up.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing surprises me anymore. I can't understand why there isn't more oversight. These judges should be made to pay that money to the victims and their families.

Prisions controlled by privates? Prisons should be public.

Tosh5457 said:
Prisions controlled by privates? Prisons should be public.

I agree. However, in the US many states have allowed private groups to build prisons or detention facilities without state funding in order to save construction expenses. The states pay on a per inmate basis. It's arguable whether the states save money over the long term, but in the short term, the state avoids the costs of building and running new prisons. The theory is that private enterprise is more efficient. However, in this case, the two judges were actually involved in the launching of this private venture. They had an interest in seeing that it was "successful".

Last edited:
PBS had a documentary about private prisons and their they of doing business.
http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/419/video.html"

Edit by moderator: Please let's stay on the topic of the criminal behaviour of the judges.

Last edited by a moderator:
SW VandeCarr said:
Judge Mark Ciavarella Jr was sentenced to 28 years in prison and ordered to pay $1.2 million in restitution. The Pennsylvania Supreme Court has vacated approximately 5000 cases over which the judge presided. Sometimes the criminal system justice works.

http://www.allgov.com/Controversies...n_for_Selling_Kids_to_Private_Prisons_110814

I must have been tired. Of course I meant "criminal justice system" (système judiciaire criminel). I've only been speaking English for over a half century. Maybe I'll get it right someday.

Evo said:
Nothing surprises me anymore. I can't understand why there isn't more oversight. These judges should be made to pay that money to the victims and their families.

The judge and his co-conspirators should also pay all of the costs involved for the 5,000 cases that were vacated.

If I remember correctly, there was a Law and Order episode like this. I don't remember if it was the original Law and Order or one of the spinoffs, though.

1. What is the background of the PA Judge Sentenced to Prison for Kickbacks from Jail Facility case?

The case involves a former Pennsylvania judge, Mark Ciavarella, who was accused of receiving kickbacks from a private juvenile detention facility in exchange for sending young offenders to the facility. This scandal became known as the "kids for cash" scandal.

2. What were the charges against the PA Judge Sentenced to Prison for Kickbacks from Jail Facility?

The former judge was charged with various counts of bribery, fraud, and racketeering. He was accused of receiving over $1 million in kickbacks from a private juvenile detention facility in exchange for sentencing juveniles to the facility.

3. What was the outcome of the PA Judge Sentenced to Prison for Kickbacks from Jail Facility case?

In 2011, Mark Ciavarella was found guilty of racketeering, money laundering, and conspiracy, among other charges. He was sentenced to 28 years in prison and ordered to pay over $1 million in restitution.

4. How did the PA Judge Sentenced to Prison for Kickbacks from Jail Facility case impact the criminal justice system?

This case shed light on issues of corruption and unethical practices within the criminal justice system. It sparked discussions about the need for reform and oversight in the juvenile justice system in particular.

5. Are there any ongoing consequences from the PA Judge Sentenced to Prison for Kickbacks from Jail Facility case?

The case is still ongoing, as some of the juveniles who were wrongfully sentenced by the former judge are seeking to have their convictions overturned. Additionally, the scandal has led to changes in the juvenile justice system in Pennsylvania, including the creation of an independent Juvenile Law Center to oversee juvenile court proceedings.

Back