Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cashing in on obesity

1. Jan 6, 2006 #1

Staff: Mentor

Oh yes, I want a "foot funnel" :bugeye: Americans are out of control. I can't believe how many people in this office are doublewides.

Jan. 6, 2006 — While doctors and other health experts are wringing their hands over the rise in obesity in the United States, another group of professionals is gleefully capitalizing on the growth in plus-size Americans.

"Amplestuff now sells a wide range of products like the FootFunnel, to help those with difficulty putting on their shoes, a leg-lifting strap to help people get in and out of vehicles, and portable chairs that can support up to 600 pounds."

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2006 #2

Very worrisome, especially for children who are already obese.

I have heard recently that average life expectancy (longevity) should start to decrease as the the baby boomer generation reaches their 60's, which starts this year. The reduced life expectancy may not happen for another decade until the majority pass beyond 60. I am sure many will try to extend longevity with medicines and pharmaceuticals.
  4. Jan 6, 2006 #3
    I saw/read somewhere, that (the uk at least) has peeked and the obesity levels will start to decline, after the general public has been bombarded with health advice
  5. Jan 6, 2006 #4

The Amercian public has been bombarded with health advice, they just listen to it while eating their biggie size triple heifer burger and mound of fries.
  6. Jan 6, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmm... First help someone to get obese. If they are content with it, help them to stay obese comfortably. But if they aren't happy, help them to get thinner -- all at a reasonable price, of course. Overall, it's a win-win-win business strategy. Now we understand how the American economy can be so resilient. :smile:
  7. Jan 6, 2006 #6
    [​IMG]I had to see what a foot funnel was.
  8. Jan 6, 2006 #7

This thread reminds me of Jamie Oliver, a rather intelligent and courageous chap here in England attempting to revolutionise the system in which kids eat at school. His famous phrase "learning what to eat starts at school" appears to be true. Permitting kids to purchase double cheese burgers at McDonalds will literally allow them to adopt vices (and I emphasize this word) that will influence them what and how to eat for the rest of their lives.
  9. Jan 6, 2006 #8

Gold Member

In my day, we called it a shoehorn. Sure, it's got bells and whistles, but it's still a shoehorn.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?