Casimir and strong force

Main Question or Discussion Point

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/casimir.html

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/ast123/lectures/lec17.html

The Casimir force is simply a pressure difference in the quantum foam exerting a force upon two plates, but is the strong nuclear force the same thing? Is it a pressure difference or perhaps the absence of virtual particles/quantum fluctuation between quarks? Please revise my understanding if you have a better one

Answers and Replies

The Casimir force is simply a pressure difference in the quantum foam exerting a force upon two plates
I don't think "quantum foam" is a useful concept here.
but is the strong nuclear force the same thing?
No, it is a completely different thing. It has nothing to do with the Casimir force.

How so? Is it not simply a lack of virtual particle production between quarks?

And the quantum foam refers to the quantum chaos of virtual particle production in every point in space it couldn't be more relevant, if you're going to say I'm wrong all day long then help me understand how and provide some useful insight

And the quantum foam refers to the quantum chaos of virtual particle production in every point in space it couldn't be more relevant, if you're going to say I'm wrong all day long then help me understand how and provide some useful insight
As I said even though its a common misconception virtual particles do not exist - they are simply a name given to the pictorial representation of a Dyson series in a Feynman Diagram. You will find many threads discussing it so no need to go into it here.

Thanks
Bill

What pushes the two plates together?

You probably are familiar with the idea of atoms in a solid or liquid sharing valence electrons. This situation results in a lower energy than not sharing and keeps the structure together. As you bring the two plates closer together what do you imagine might be happening?

The distinction between Van der Waals forces and the Casimir effect has more to do with scale than anything else. They may be considered as two limits of a spectrum rather than as totally different effects. Relativistic retardation comes into play at greater distances.