Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Casimir and strong force

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think "quantum foam" is a useful concept here.
    No, it is a completely different thing. It has nothing to do with the Casimir force.

4. Mar 1, 2016 #3
    How so? Is it not simply a lack of virtual particle production between quarks?

5. Mar 1, 2016 #4
    And the quantum foam refers to the quantum chaos of virtual particle production in every point in space it couldn't be more relevant, if you're going to say I'm wrong all day long then help me understand how and provide some useful insight

6. Mar 1, 2016 #5

bhobba

Virtual particles do not exist.

The Casmir effect doesn't really have anything to do with the quantum vacuum either:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0503158v1

Its a myth - although a very common one even in professional literature.

Its one of a number of very common myths about QM:
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0609163.pdf

Thanks
    Bill

7. Mar 1, 2016 #6

bhobba

As I said even though its a common misconception virtual particles do not exist - they are simply a name given to the pictorial representation of a Dyson series in a Feynman Diagram. You will find many threads discussing it so no need to go into it here.

Thanks
    Bill

8. Mar 3, 2016 #7
    What pushes the two plates together?

9. Mar 3, 2016 #8

bhobba

Did you read the link?

Thanks
    Bill

10. Mar 6, 2016 #9
    You probably are familiar with the idea of atoms in a solid or liquid sharing valence electrons. This situation results in a lower energy than not sharing and keeps the structure together. As you bring the two plates closer together what do you imagine might be happening?

11. Mar 7, 2016 #10
    The distinction between Van der Waals forces and the Casimir effect has more to do with scale than anything else. They may be considered as two limits of a spectrum rather than as totally different effects. Relativistic retardation comes into play at greater distances.

12. Mar 7, 2016 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted