1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Casimir Effect, no idea

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am attempting to repeat the math found on page 4 of this paper using the Euler-maclaurin summation formula. How would I incorporate the conversion factor because I can not figure it out for the life in me!

Thank you!

http://www.hep.caltech.edu/~phys199/lectures/lect5_6_cas.pdf

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using the conversion factor means that we can write

$$\nu = -\lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} \frac{d}{d\epsilon} e^{-\epsilon \nu}.$$

Note that I take ##\epsilon\rightarrow 0## instead of ##\infty## like in the text. I suspect the ##\infty## is a typo.

This conversion factor is useful, because we can then write the sum as

$$ \sum_{\nu = 1}^\infty \nu = -\lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} \frac{d}{d\epsilon} \sum_{\nu = 1}^\infty e^{-\epsilon \nu}.$$

Since ##e^{-\epsilon} < 1##, we can recognize this as a geometric series and do the sum. Expanding the result in ##\epsilon## will leave a divergent term, a finite term, and terms that vanish as ##\epsilon\rightarrow 0##. Introducing ## e^{-\epsilon \nu}## into the integral gives a result that cancels the divergent term in the sum. We are then left with a finite result when we compute the difference between the sum and integral.

Alternatively, one can use the Euler-Maclaurin formula, which is also referred to in the text.

4. Oct 25, 2013 #3
    Thank you, but the text states that they used the Euler-Macluarin and the conversion factor. Could this have been a typo?

5. Oct 25, 2013 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You only need one of the methods. Give it a try.

6. Oct 25, 2013 #5
    oh ok thank you. I will let you know how it turns out asap!

7. Oct 25, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For using the Euler-Maclaurin formula, the hint might be that you should use ##e^{-\epsilon \nu}## as a "convergence" factor (rather than a "conversion" factor). Then let ##\epsilon \rightarrow 0## (not ∞, as fzero has already noted).

Thus, consider the argument of the sum or integral to be ##\nu e^{-\epsilon \nu}##. Without the convergence factor, you run into trouble for ##\nu \rightarrow \infty## in the Euler-Maclaurin formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted