How Does the Casimir Effect Utilize the Euler-Maclaurin Formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the conversion factor in the Euler-Maclaurin summation formula and its application in finding the sum of a series. It is noted that the text may have a typo regarding the use of infinity instead of zero in the formula, and the conversation suggests using the Euler-Maclaurin formula with the convergence factor ##e^{-\epsilon \nu}## instead. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to try one of the methods and report back on the results.
epislon58
Hello,

I am attempting to repeat the math found on page 4 of this paper using the Euler-maclaurin summation formula. How would I incorporate the conversion factor because I can not figure it out for the life in me!

Thank you!

http://www.hep.caltech.edu/~phys199/lectures/lect5_6_cas.pdf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using the conversion factor means that we can write

$$\nu = -\lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} \frac{d}{d\epsilon} e^{-\epsilon \nu}.$$

Note that I take ##\epsilon\rightarrow 0## instead of ##\infty## like in the text. I suspect the ##\infty## is a typo.

This conversion factor is useful, because we can then write the sum as

$$ \sum_{\nu = 1}^\infty \nu = -\lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0} \frac{d}{d\epsilon} \sum_{\nu = 1}^\infty e^{-\epsilon \nu}.$$

Since ##e^{-\epsilon} < 1##, we can recognize this as a geometric series and do the sum. Expanding the result in ##\epsilon## will leave a divergent term, a finite term, and terms that vanish as ##\epsilon\rightarrow 0##. Introducing ## e^{-\epsilon \nu}## into the integral gives a result that cancels the divergent term in the sum. We are then left with a finite result when we compute the difference between the sum and integral.

Alternatively, one can use the Euler-Maclaurin formula, which is also referred to in the text.

Thank you, but the text states that they used the Euler-Macluarin and the conversion factor. Could this have been a typo?

epislon58 said:
Thank you, but the text states that they used the Euler-Macluarin and the conversion factor. Could this have been a typo?

You only need one of the methods. Give it a try.

oh ok thank you. I will let you know how it turns out asap!

For using the Euler-Maclaurin formula, the hint might be that you should use ##e^{-\epsilon \nu}## as a "convergence" factor (rather than a "conversion" factor). Then let ##\epsilon \rightarrow 0## (not ∞, as fzero has already noted).

Thus, consider the argument of the sum or integral to be ##\nu e^{-\epsilon \nu}##. Without the convergence factor, you run into trouble for ##\nu \rightarrow \infty## in the Euler-Maclaurin formula.

What is the Casimir Effect?

The Casimir Effect is a phenomenon in quantum field theory where two uncharged parallel plates placed very close together experience an attractive force due to the fluctuations in the quantum vacuum between them.

Who discovered the Casimir Effect?

The Casimir Effect was first predicted by Dutch physicist Hendrik Casimir in 1948.

What causes the Casimir Effect?

The Casimir Effect is caused by the fluctuations in the electromagnetic field between the two plates, which results in a difference in the energy density outside and inside the plates, leading to an attractive force.

Is the Casimir Effect a real phenomenon?

Yes, the Casimir Effect has been experimentally verified and is a well-established phenomenon in quantum field theory.

What are the applications of the Casimir Effect?

The Casimir Effect has potential applications in nanotechnology, such as creating nanoscale machines and devices, as well as in developing new types of energy sources and improving the precision of various sensors and measurement devices.