Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Casimir effect

1. May 14, 2005 #1
    Articles on the Casimir effect do not mention any relationship between gravity and the Casimir effect although an article on (http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/15/9/6) does mention ongoing experiments using different materials to neutralize the local gravity.

I have come across a gravity/Casimir effect relationship that might be just a mathematical coincidence or it might be applicable to current studies; it implies that the force of the Casimir effect should vary with changes in the Earth’s gravitational force affecting the experiment.
    I should like to know if this is a known or predictable effect, or if it has already been proven to be incorrect. Have separate experiments (preferably using the same equipment), been conducted on the Earth's surface and repeated in deep mines or space?

Please keep in mind that I have no professional training and do my work using linear (not quantum) physics, so replies need to be simple.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2005 #2
    Please, I also need to know how to calculate at what distance the Casimir effect changes from attractive to repulsive?

4. May 14, 2005 #3
    I did a ctrl f to search for the word gravity and did not get a result. I did read that fluxuations in temperature may alter the results but not gravity.

"...at what distance the Casimir effect changes from attractive to repulsive?"

My understanding is that is has to do with materials of certain permittivity and permeability rather that it changing from one to the other outright/ with distance.

5. May 14, 2005 #4

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Researchers at the Tampere University of Technology in Finland claim to have an anti-gravity device using the Casimir effect. NASA is interested, so there may be something to it.

Linky thingy: http://members.fortunecity.com/templarser/antigrav.html

Edit- Casimir effect is not discussed in the link. I'm confusing my articles - if I find the other link I'll post it.

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  6. May 15, 2005 #5
    To show what I am trying to develop I have placed a table and diagram on the bottm of my webpage at
    http://elasticity2.tripod.com/

7. May 15, 2005 #6

Mk

When is the Casimir effect repulsive?

8. May 15, 2005 #7
    Casimir effect is always attractive. :/
    Also, how can it be used to neutralize gravity. :/ It is a symmterical force, acting in both directions and it can't be limited to one direction.

P.S. Gravity might have an effect on strength of the casimir effect since it alters the wavelength of particles and casimir effect is a result of difference in particle concentration between the plates and outside them.

9. May 15, 2005 #8
    Mk

The quote I give in italics is dated 2003 and mentions the possible repulsive effect, it is by no means the only mention of a repulsive Casimir effect

according to Wikpedia:
    "Further research has shown that, with materials of certain permittivity and permeability, or with a certain configuration, the Casimir effect can be repulsive instead of attractive".

Ryoukomaru

The quote also makes clear the uncertainty surrounding the current understanding of the Casimir effect. I am trying to decide whether the constant I show in the table is or is not of some value in the debate about the Casimir effect.

Four or more bodies (large mass or particles) have a common centre of gravity; is it, or is it not of value to know that the gravitational force between the two largest is related to the Casimir force between the two smallest? Does this indicate that gravitons have a particle field structure with a central ZP, in the same manner as say, baryons or atoms; only on a much larger scale.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2005
  10. May 17, 2005 #9

Mk

Well, will someone please describe the dynamics of a repulsive Casimir effect? I think me and Ryoukomaru are still on the side that says otherwise.

11. May 17, 2005 #10
    Well, will someone please describe the dynamics of a repulsive Casimir effect? I think me and Ryoukomaru are still on the side that says otherwise.

All I can reply is that the experts state that the repulsive force is there. My own opinion enters areas that always result in the forum being closed down. I am not going there at present because I want to keep this discussion going, on the Casimir effect and the significance, if any, of the constant.

If you want to think further on the subject, recall that both the strong force and the magnetic force have a repulsive effect and ask if there is a common factor at work in all natural forces. Think of a rubber ball, pull to expand, push to compress; and each time you create an opposing force; hence force and anti-force, but what is the rubber?

12. May 17, 2005 #11
    Ephraim Fischbach has been working on variations in the way gravity changes at scales or places wher has not been measured with sufficent precision at least since 18 years before. Some titles, (and you can find it in arxiv) are "IMPROVED TESTS OF EXTRA-DIMENSIONAL PHYSICS AND THERMAL QUANTUM FIELD THEORY FROM NEW CASIMIR FORCES MEASUREMENT", "SEARCHING FOR EXTRA DIMENSIONS AND NEW-STRING INSPIRED FORCES IN THE CASIMIR REGIME", and more, maybe it can be useful for you. Actually, the same person (Fischbach) where making experiments to test in deep mines the change in gravitation. In fact that things of "searching extra-dimensions" is to measure the change in the way gravity changes at low scales, and is related with your questions. :wink:

Regards.

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  13. May 17, 2005 #12
    Rebel

Dissapointed to find I am not first.
    Delighted to find I am not the complete nutcase some subscribers said I was.
    Your reply is exactly what I was looking for.
    Thanks and thanks again,
    elas

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?