Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Casimir force and cavity radiation.

1. Mar 23, 2005 #1
    I tried to calculate the casimir force. I need to know if the way I doing it is correct. So I note some steps:

1. I calculate the energy in the space without the plates
    2. I calculate the energy between the two plates
    And then I speculated. I thougt of taking the difference of one and two and set the energy in F=-dE/dx --> correct?

And second:
    Someone told me that we can derive the casimir force by working with the cavity radiation. I think that can't actualy be true, is it? (If yes: what has cavity radiation to do with the Casimir effect?)

Why does cavity radiation/black body radiation happen? My thoughts: The electromagnetic waves can only have certain wave lengths in the body and the probability of finding these em waves ("phonons") is not zero right out of the body because it can not be zero everywhere. Is that the reason of cavity radiation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2005 #2
    ? Can't somebody answer?
  4. Mar 24, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check out section 5.10 from Kleinert's book:"Quantum Field Theory & Particle Physics".

5. Mar 24, 2005 #4
  6. Mar 24, 2005 #5
    thanks you both.
  7. Mar 24, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Similar treatment you can find in Itzykson & Zuber treatise...Choose whichever you prefer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?