Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Casimir trick for neutrinos

1. Jun 27, 2017 #1
    Hello

I was reading in Griffiths that in the case of electron neutrino scattering, one can apply Casimir's trick to sum over input and output spin states, including the neutrinos. My question is, how come you are allowed to include in the sum the nonphysical right handed helicity state ? And, yes, I understand that the final average takes into account that there is only one neutrino spin. But how does the nonphysical helicity not contribute mathematically, since it is included ?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The interaction vertex contains a projection onto the left-handed states.

4. Jun 27, 2017 #3
    Thank you for answering, but trying to understand your answer, given that the vertex is γμ (1-γ5), in a world where only right handed states interacted, what would the vertex change to ?

5. Jun 27, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\gamma^\mu (1+\gamma^5)##

6. Jun 27, 2017 #5
    Great, I wished missing logic links like this were better explained in the book for leisure readers like myself. Thanks.

I noticed 15 pages later that the book sort of explains it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted