Casimir trick in e+e->H->ffbar

• Thread starter dingo_d
  • Start date
Tr[\bar{v}_1({\not} p_1+m_1)v_2\bar{u}_3({\not} p_2-m_2)u_4] Finally, you can use the properties of the trace to simplify the expression and solve for the unpolarized, averaged square of the amplitude. In summary, to solve this problem, you need to use the Casimir trick to rearrange the spinors and then take the trace of the matrix to calculate the unpolarized, averaged square of the amplitude. Make sure to use the properties of
dingo_d
Casimir trick in e+e-->H->ffbar

Homework Statement

I have the process:

[itex]e^+e^-\to H\to f\bar{f}[/itex]

I have calculated the amplitude and it's conjugate, and now I want to find the averaged, unpolarized square of the invariant amplitude [itex]\langle|M|^2\rangle[/itex].

I average over the initial spins and sum over the final and usually in some simple processes like Moller scattering, I would play with Casimir trick and traces. But here I have:

[itex]\langle|M|^2\rangle=\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{g_w^2}{4m_w^2} m_e m_f\right)^2\sum_{spins} \bar{u}_4v_2\bar{v}_1u_3\bar{v}_2u_4\bar{u}_3v_1[/itex]

Where [itex]\bar{v}_1[/itex] is the incoming positron with impulse p_1 and spin s_1, [itex]u_3[/itex] is the incoming electron, [itex]v_2[/itex] is the outgoing anti fermion, and [itex]\bar{u}_4[/itex] is the outgoing fermion.

If I look at the spinor components, I can arrange them into pairs and use the relations:

[itex]\sum_{s_1}u_{1\delta}\bar{u}_{1\alpha}=({\not} p_1+m_1)_{\delta\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{s_2}v_{2\beta}\bar{v}_{2\gamma}=({\not} p_2-m_2)_{\beta\gamma}[/itex]

But I'm not getting any trace out of this :\

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations \langle|M|^2\rangle=\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{g_w^2}{4m_w^2} m_e m_f\right)^2\sum_{spins} \bar{u}_4v_2\bar{v}_1u_3\bar{v}_2u_4\bar{u}_3v_1\sum_{s_1}u_{1\delta}\bar{u}_{1\alpha}=({\not} p_1+m_1)_{\delta\alpha} and \sum_{s_2}v_{2\beta}\bar{v}_{2\gamma}=({\not} p_2-m_2)_{\beta\gamma}The Attempt at a Solution To solve this problem, you need to use the Casimir trick. This is an algebraic trick which allows you to calculate the unpolarized, averaged square of the amplitude by summing over the initial spins and then taking the trace of the matrix. First, you need to express the spinors in terms of the momentum 4-vectors and the mass of the particle. Then, you can rearrange the spinors so that you have pairs of spinors which can be summed over using the Casimir trick. For example, you can rearrange the spinors so that you have: \langle|M|^2\rangle=\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{g_w^2}{4m_w^2} m_e m_f\right)^2\sum_{spins} Tr[\bar{v}_1({\not} p_1+m_1)v_2\bar{u}_3({\not} p_2-m_2)u_4] Now, you can take the trace of the matrix to get: \langle|M|^2\rangle=\frac{1}{2

1. What is the Casimir trick in e+e->H->ffbar and how does it work?

The Casimir trick is a method used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of a process occurring, such as e+e->H->ffbar. It involves using a mathematical trick to rewrite the initial and final state of the process in terms of simpler states, making the calculation easier to perform.

2. Why is the Casimir trick useful in e+e->H->ffbar calculations?

The Casimir trick simplifies the calculation of the probability for a process like e+e->H->ffbar by breaking it down into simpler states. This makes it easier to perform the calculation and obtain accurate results.

3. Can the Casimir trick be applied to other processes besides e+e->H->ffbar?

Yes, the Casimir trick can be used in a variety of processes in quantum field theory, as long as the initial and final states can be rewritten in terms of simpler states. It is a commonly used technique in many calculations in particle physics.

4. Is the Casimir trick a new concept in quantum field theory?

No, the Casimir trick has been around since the 1960s and is a well-established technique in quantum field theory. It was first introduced by physicist Hendrik Casimir as a way to simplify calculations in quantum electrodynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Casimir trick in e+e->H->ffbar calculations?

While the Casimir trick is a useful tool, it does have its limitations. It may not be applicable to all processes and may not always provide exact results. In some cases, more advanced techniques may be necessary to obtain more accurate results.