1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Casimir trick in e+e->H->ffbar

1. Jun 16, 2012 #1
    Casimir trick in e+e-->H->ffbar

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the process:

[itex]e^+e^-\to H\to f\bar{f}[/itex]

I have calculated the amplitude and it's conjugate, and now I want to find the averaged, unpolarized square of the invariant amplitude [itex]\langle|M|^2\rangle[/itex].

I average over the initial spins and sum over the final and usually in some simple processes like Moller scattering, I would play with Casimir trick and traces. But here I have:

[itex]\langle|M|^2\rangle=\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{g_w^2}{4m_w^2} m_e m_f\right)^2\sum_{spins} \bar{u}_4v_2\bar{v}_1u_3\bar{v}_2u_4\bar{u}_3v_1[/itex]

Where [itex]\bar{v}_1[/itex] is the incoming positron with impulse p_1 and spin s_1, [itex]u_3[/itex] is the incoming electron, [itex]v_2[/itex] is the outgoing anti fermion, and [itex]\bar{u}_4[/itex] is the outgoing fermion.

If I look at the spinor components, I can arrange them into pairs and use the relations:

[itex]\sum_{s_1}u_{1\delta}\bar{u}_{1\alpha}=({\not} p_1+m_1)_{\delta\alpha}[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{s_2}v_{2\beta}\bar{v}_{2\gamma}=({\not} p_2-m_2)_{\beta\gamma}[/itex]

But I'm not getting any trace out of this :\

What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?