Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Casimir's Trick

1. Feb 11, 2017 #1
    Hello! I am reading (from Griffiths' book) about Casimir's trick in calculating the amplitude of an interaction. At a point it says that we need to average over all initial spin configurations and sum over all final spin configurations. Why is it a sum for the final states and not an average, too? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If we don't measure the spin, all possible configurations will contribute to the result. It's like throwing 2 dice and not caring about the result of die 1: You have to add the probabilities of all possible results of die 1.

4. Feb 11, 2017 #3
    But then, why we average on the initial spin configuration. We also don't know the initial spin (this is why we need to average, right?)?

5. Feb 11, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

We don't know it, but the particles have to be in one specific initial spin value.

There is no time symmetry in this experiment.

6. Feb 11, 2017 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Think of it this way: you shoot 1000 A's on 1000 B's...
    A can be in states [1,2] and B can be in states [1,2]
    The final result of those collisions can be C and D each in state [1,2].
    In the end of the experiment you can measure the numbers of C[1],C[2],D[1],D[2] (4 possible outcomes). But you cannot keep track of what were the Ai,Bi (so you average them out).

7. Feb 12, 2017 #6
    Thank you for your explanations. It made sense, but I encountered a problem about the amplitude of the electron positron interaction in a positronium. Here they say that we can't average over the spins as system is either in a singlet configuration (spins antiparallel) or triplet (spins parallel). Now I am a bit confused again. Isn't this always the case? When you collide 2 particles, the z components of the spin are parallel or antiparallel (there is no 3rd option for a spin 1/2 particle). So why in a normal collision you have to average, but in this case you can't?

8. Feb 12, 2017 #7

mfb

2016 Award

For positronium, you want to study both cases separately. Their relative formation rate depends on the initial conditions, for example. If you know the formation rates, and don't care about things like lifetime, you can average.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted