Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Castep Setup

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to use the CASTEP software for dft calculations. I have plenty of documentation on how to use it once it's all up and running, however I don't know how to get to that point :/

I'm not the best with linux but i've manually installed programs before through tarballs but here I am just completely stumped by the range of different filetypes and releases that I have no idea where to start.

Has anyone else had any experiance with these packages and know what i need to download to get up and runnning?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 1, 2016 #3
    do you know how to do what i want to do claude?
    have you used castep before?

I'm not authorised to use that email list for some unknown reason to me.

5. Nov 1, 2016 #4

DrClaude

No I've never used that software. I have lots of experience installing software, but I couldn't check the installation instruction because it is not free software. But I found the mailing list, so I pointed it out.

6. Nov 1, 2016 #5
    are you willing to help me if i provide more information?

7. Nov 1, 2016 #6

DrClaude

Yes. I would need to see the instructions on how to install.

8. Nov 5, 2016 #7
    The guy who wrote that program taught one of my courses. Unfortunately I never used it :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted