Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Castro resigns

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Time for a change.

4. Feb 19, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Hopefully there will be some.

5. Feb 19, 2008 #4
    So Castro's brother will rule for another 50 years? What will change?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  6. Feb 19, 2008 #5
    How much of the US' Cuba policy has to do with Fidel Castro himself? I would imagine the missile crisis is a major component.

7. Feb 19, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does he have a dumber son with the same first name?

Our warmest felicitations to our American cousins who will no longer have to live under the constant fear of Cuban aggression.

8. Feb 19, 2008 #7
    Maybe now we'll be permitted to eat those Cuban Sandwiches they serve down in the cafeteria.

9. Feb 19, 2008 #8
    Too bad this couldn't have waited until after the end of the Bush presidency, particularly given the Aristide kidnapping and all. Hopefully he's shamed too much by Iraq at this point for any more cowboy glory-seeking.

10. Feb 19, 2008 #9

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you call them freedom sandwiches ?

11. Feb 19, 2008 #10
    Not until there is a McDonalds and a Burger King and a Pizza Hut on every corner in Cuba and a Wal-mart in every town. Only then will they truly be free.

P.S. Guantanamo is the only place in Cuba where there's a McDonalds right now. Let's see how long it takes that to change.

12. Feb 19, 2008 #11

mheslep

Gold Member

How amusing! Here's some more: perhaps Castro could anoint an inbred Royal Family with a rather dim and unpopular heir to the thrown.
    Yes it was all CIA propaganda. Cuban troops or advisers in: Angola (50,000 troops), Ethiopia (24,000), Yemen, Grenada. Congo, Nicaragua

13. Feb 19, 2008 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We are very impressed, it's taken the royal houses of Europe centuries to acheive this level of imbicility - whats the secret to doing it so quickly?

So with them all safely in Africa they aren't likely to invade Florida!

14. Feb 19, 2008 #13
    Sending troops to Nicaragua! Gasp! Clearly Cuba is the arch-enemy of freedom and democracy. Why, the only more fiendish thing they could do would be if they sold armaments to a fundamentalist Islamic regime and then gave that money to a murderous revolutionary faction in Nicaragua.

You're not seriously going to criticize Cuba for taking sides in conflicts elsewhere in the world, are you? When the U.S. is going to be heading into its 5th year occupying Iraq shortly?

15. Feb 19, 2008 #14

mheslep

Gold Member

See the context. It was in response to a pretense that Cuba was never a military threat to anyone. The big bad US and little old helpless Cuba theme.

16. Feb 19, 2008 #15
    Ah, I see. You were just responding to some America-bashing with some Brit-bashing. Well I'm all for bashing the Brits! They've got big ears and silly swear-words.

17. Feb 19, 2008 #16
    Freedom isn't when they build a McDonalds, or a Burger King. Its when they build both of them and one goes out of business.

18. Feb 19, 2008 #17
    I'm probably getting played, but you aren't serious, are you? My point was that they already have freedom in Cuba, it just isn't our kind of freedom.

19. Feb 19, 2008 #18

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

20. Feb 19, 2008 #19
    They have freedom in jail too. It just isn't my kind of freedom.

21. Feb 19, 2008 #20
    Yeah, the Cuban idea of freedom being compatible with Castro ruling for life doesn't fit. But dude, you just said that McDonalds and Burger King competing is true freedom. Does it really fit better that our idea of freedom involves the franchises of multinational corporations being able to duke it out, or Monsanto successfully suing farmers out of existence because some GMO pollen blew into their field, or smoking in all restaurants being outlawed in some states, or the Bay of Pigs invasion, or invading and occupying Iraq for the past 5 years and who knows how many more, or the government seizing land rights from private owners to protect the environment?

I don't think we're the ones to be schooling Cuba on what freedom is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?