Fidel Castro Resigns: Tuesday Marks Historic Moment

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marks Moment
In summary, Fidel Castro resigned Tuesday and his brother will rule Cuba for another 50 years. The U.S. is relieved and Cuba is now free from threat of invasion.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fidel Castro resigned Tuesday...
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hgDKj0AzfQ9SWdrvaiWh-7P7JMdg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Time for a change.

Hopefully there will be some.

So Castro's brother will rule for another 50 years? What will change?

Last edited:
How much of the US' Cuba policy has to do with Fidel Castro himself? I would imagine the missile crisis is a major component.

Greg Bernhardt said:
So Castro's brother will rule for another 50 years? What will change?
Does he have a dumber son with the same first name?

Our warmest felicitations to our American cousins who will no longer have to live under the constant fear of Cuban aggression.

Maybe now we'll be permitted to eat those Cuban Sandwiches they serve down in the cafeteria.

Too bad this couldn't have waited until after the end of the Bush presidency, particularly given the Aristide kidnapping and all. Hopefully he's shamed too much by Iraq at this point for any more cowboy glory-seeking.

jimmysnyder said:
eat those Cuban Sandwiches
Can you call them freedom sandwiches ?

mgb_phys said:
Can you call them freedom sandwiches ?

Not until there is a McDonalds and a Burger King and a Pizza Hut on every corner in Cuba and a Wal-mart in every town. Only then will they truly be free.

P.S. Guantanamo is the only place in Cuba where there's a McDonalds right now. Let's see how long it takes that to change.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
Does he have a dumber son with the same first name?
How amusing! Here's some more: perhaps Castro could anoint an inbred Royal Family with a http://www.salon.com/sept97/news/news970902.html" heir to the thrown.
Our warmest felicitations to our American cousins who will no longer have to live under the constant fear of Cuban aggression.
Yes it was all CIA propaganda. Cuban troops or advisers in: Angola (50,000 troops), Ethiopia (24,000), Yemen, Grenada. Congo, Nicaragua

mheslep said:
an inbred Royal Family with a rather dim and unpopular heir to the thrown.
We are very impressed, it's taken the royal houses of Europe centuries to achieve this level of imbicility - what's the secret to doing it so quickly?

Yes it was all CIA propaganda. Cuban troops or advisers in: Angola (50,000 troops), Ethiopia (24,000), Yemen, Grenada. Congo, Nicaragua
So with them all safely in Africa they aren't likely to invade Florida!

mheslep said:
Yes it was all CIA propaganda. Cuban troops or advisers in: … Nicaragua

Sending troops to Nicaragua! Gasp! Clearly Cuba is the arch-enemy of freedom and democracy. Why, the only more fiendish thing they could do would be if they sold armaments to a fundamentalist Islamic regime and then gave that money to a murderous revolutionary faction in Nicaragua.

You're not seriously going to criticize Cuba for taking sides in conflicts elsewhere in the world, are you? When the U.S. is going to be heading into its 5th year occupying Iraq shortly?

Last edited:
CaptainQuasar said:
You're not seriously going to criticize Cuba for taking sides in conflicts elsewhere in the world, are you? When the U.S. is going to be heading into its 5th year occupying Iraq shortly?
See the context. It was in response to a pretense that Cuba was never a military threat to anyone. The big bad US and little old helpless Cuba theme.

mheslep said:
See the context. It was in response to a pretense that Cuba was never a military threat to anyone. The big bad US and little old helpless Cuba theme.

Ah, I see. You were just responding to some America-bashing with some Brit-bashing. Well I'm all for bashing the Brits! They've got big ears and silly swear-words.

CaptainQuasar said:
Not until there is a McDonalds and a Burger King and a Pizza Hut on every corner in Cuba and a Wal-mart in every town. Only then will they truly be free.
Freedom isn't when they build a McDonalds, or a Burger King. Its when they build both of them and one goes out of business.

jimmysnyder said:
Freedom isn't when they build a McDonalds, or a Burger King. Its when they build both of them and one goes out of business.

I'm probably getting played, but you aren't serious, are you? My point was that they already have freedom in Cuba, it just isn't our kind of freedom.

CaptainQuasar said:
silly swear-words.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

CaptainQuasar said:
I'm My point was that they already have freedom in Cuba, it just isn't our kind of freedom.
They have freedom in jail too. It just isn't my kind of freedom.

jimmysnyder said:
They have freedom in jail too. It just isn't my kind of freedom.

Yeah, the Cuban idea of freedom being compatible with Castro ruling for life doesn't fit. But dude, you just said that McDonalds and Burger King competing is true freedom. Does it really fit better that our idea of freedom involves the franchises of multinational corporations being able to duke it out, or Monsanto successfully suing farmers out of existence because some GMO pollen blew into their field, or smoking in all restaurants being outlawed in some states, or the Bay of Pigs invasion, or invading and occupying Iraq for the past 5 years and who knows how many more, or the government seizing land rights from private owners to protect the environment?

I don't think we're the ones to be schooling Cuba on what freedom is.

CaptainQuasar said:
Ah, I see. You were just responding to some America-bashing with some Brit-bashing. Well I'm all for bashing the Brits! They've got big ears and silly swear-words.
Yes, wasn't claiming any American exceptionalism. Hey Captain, what's with the
?

CaptainQuasar said:
Does it really fit better that our idea of freedom involves the franchises of multinational corporations being able to duke it out,
Yes, any business large or small. Let the customers decide who will prosper. When the government decides who is allowed to do business, you end up with Cuban freedom.

CaptainQuasar said:
or Monsanto successfully suing farmers out of existence because some GMO pollen blew into their field,
Everyone large or small must have access to the legal system or you end up with Cuban freedom.

CaptainQuasar said:
or smoking in all restaurants being outlawed in some states,
Smoking in the ICU is outlawed as well. Under the current system, you can smoke and I can refrain. What's wrong with that? You can even smoke Cubans, you just have to step outside that's all.

CaptainQuasar said:
or the Bay of Pigs invasion, or invading and occupying Iraq for the past 5 years and who knows how many more,
The regime behind Bay of Pigs is no longer in power and the regime behind the Iraq occupation is going away soon. The alternative is Cuban freedom.

CaptainQuasar said:
or the government seizing land rights from private owners to protect the environment?
You are right, this is not freedom. Neither is it a reason to head south. Under Cuban freedom they take your land too.

CaptainQuasar said:
I don't think we're the ones to be schooling Cuba on what freedom is.
Yes, we should. We should build all kinds of businesses and watch 80% of them fail. We should preserve our precious freedoms and those of our neighbors. We should do things that other people don't want us to do. The Cubans, and the world can see what a noisy thing freedom is, and may their tongues hang out.

mheslep said:
Yes, wasn't claiming any American exceptionalism. Hey Captain, what's with the
?

That's the Unicode atomic symbol, which looks like the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutherford_model" . If it looks like a question mark to you that means that your computer doesn't fully support Unicode, or at least that all of the fonts you have are missing that character.

http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page" that contains symbols like that and also most of the scientific and mathematical character sets. I think it would work with Windows, Mac, or Linux, as long as your system supports Unicode in general.

I wondered about that - it displays as a thick forward slash on opera+windows XP.

What is the numerical equivalent of the character?

CaptainQuasar said:
That's the Unicode atomic symbol, which looks like the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutherford_model" . If it looks like a question mark to you that means that your computer doesn't fully support Unicode, or at least that all of the fonts you have are missing that character.
Yes I have uni support and see Sir R.'s model. I just didn't get the meaning of your salutation.

When I get vacation time, I like to go to the island of Aruba for R & R. The buzz down there is that when the US decides that us can visit Cuba, there will be resorts built right away. Apparently the Dutch have a lot of plans in this regard. The Cubans themselves would probably allow these resorts right now, but the Dutch won't build until us is allowed to go there. I don't see much hope in a leader that only received one vote, but it may be that he is willing to do what it takes to get the US to ease up.

jimmysnyder said:
Yes, any business large or small. Let the customers decide who will prosper. When the government decides who is allowed to do business, you end up with Cuban freedom.

You think the government in the U.S. doesn't decide who does business? I've got two words for you: farm subsidies.

And have you run into any Cuban cigar importers lately?

jimmysnyder said:
Everyone large or small must have access to the legal system or you end up with Cuban freedom.

You're saying that some Cubans don't have access to the Cuban legal system? Can you cite anything that shows what you're talking about, or just be more specific even?

And does this mean that you think Monsanto ruining those farmers represents freedom?

jimmysnyder said:
Smoking in the ICU is outlawed as well. Under the current system, you can smoke and I can refrain. What's wrong with that? You can even smoke Cubans, you just have to step outside that's all.

Uh, in the ICU? Like, in hospitals? What does that have to do with freedom?

jimmysnyder said:
The regime behind Bay of Pigs is no longer in power and the regime behind the Iraq occupation is going away soon. The alternative is Cuban freedom.

You're saying that unless we do things like preemptively invade Iraq the world will become communist? Are you serious?

You sure swallowed the Cold War rhetoric hook, line, and sinker. You realize that the CIA spin doctors who made that stuff up have probably been dead for decades, right?

jimmysnyder said:
You are right, this is not freedom. Neither is it a reason to head south. Under Cuban freedom they take your land too.

Most of the people who live in Cuba today have probably never owned land. And many of them are probably now living and farming land that was originally part of a plantation owned by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Fruit_Company" or some other American company.

jimmysnyder said:
Yes, we should. We should build all kinds of businesses and watch 80% of them fail. We should preserve our precious freedoms and those of our neighbors. We should do things that other people don't want us to do. The Cubans, and the world can see what a noisy thing freedom is, and may their tongues hang out.

May their tongues hang out… and may they get the chance to emigrate to a capitalist wonderland like Haiti? Because if the entente between the U.S. and Cuba were to end by Cuba disavowing communism, we would of course slam the immigration door in their faces faster than we'd start importing their cigars and sugar.

Give it up, man - the U.S. kidnaps or overthrows elected leaders whenever we feel like it¹, we gladly sell weapons and give money to Saddam Hussein and people like him, we fight on the side of multinational corporations who squeeze blood from the peasants in third-world countries better than any European prince ever did, we bloody up places like Vietnam or Afghanistan if we need that kind of tool in a political war. Did you know that we trained the Mujahideen in Afghanistan to make car bombs?² Seriously? And we torture people in secret prisons.

We are not some kind of experts on freedom. We are willfully and intentionally the enemies of freedom whenever it suits our purposes.

The Cold War ended almost twenty years ago. There's no need whatsoever to pretend that Cuba is the minion of an Evil Empire that is the enemy of everything good and pure.

¹Like Aristide in Haiti in 2004 or the attempt against Chavez in Venezuela in 2001 - ever wonder why he hates us so much? Or Mohammad Mosaddeq, the elected prime minister of Iran, who we overthrew in 1953 with the help of the Brits and replaced with the Shah. We basically handed Iran over to the fundamentalist Islamists.
²That would be while the Soviets were there, not during the recent war.

P.S. The Atom symbol is hex 269B I think. If anyone has Windows Vista I'd be curious to know if it shows up properly, Vista is supposed to have better Unicode support.

mheslep said:
Yes I have uni support and see Sir R.'s model. I just didn't get the meaning of your salutation.

Oh, I see. No particular meaning, it just seemed like a cooler reference than some quote or crazily colored text or something.

the attempt against Chavez in Venezuela in 2001 - ever wonder why he hates us so much?
Bogus. You didn't read that in any respectable news source because it never happened.

Last edited:
mheslep said:
Bogus. You didn't read that in any respectable news source because it never happened.

Because respectable news sources would definitely report something like that.

I would agree that there isn't ironclad evidence - but that's not the same as “bogus”. There's an entire documentary, made by a team that was in Venezuela when the coup happened, about how cozy the coup leaders and American interests were.

Would you at least concede that the U.S. government did not exactly denounce the coup? And it's not exactly like we don't do things like that. You aren't disputing Mossadegh or any of the other stuff I said, I notice.

Have you seen the photographs of Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam Hussein in the 1980's? Most people in leadership positions in the U.S. do not give a rat's behind about democracy and freedom. I am not kidding and these things cannot be dismissed as fantasies of conspiracy theorists. It's completely ridiculous for the U.S. to pretend to be critical of Cuba for not pursuing or defending freedom.

CaptainQuasar said:
Because respectable news sources would definitely report something like that.
Eh? NY Times etc would not absolutely run over your grandmother to get a story on how the US was staging a coup somewhere? Every opposition Senator would not run over your dog to get the same?

I would agree that there isn't ironclad evidence - but that's not the same as “bogus”. There's an entire documentary, made by a team that was in Venezuela when the coup happened, about how cozy the coup leaders and American interests were.
There's an entire documentary on how Bush blew up the WTC.
Would you at least concede that the U.S. government did not exactly denounce the coup?
Its evident that the US publicly opposed Chavez, diplomatically. With regards to force, I know first hand that the US DoD sent people down there that told the V. military the US wanted no coup. Further, US got word to Chavez directly warning him of a possible coup, though he'd have to be an idiot to not see it coming w/ the mass protests in the streets. As for sympathy for Chavez, I have none. I hope the US foreign policy was and is to do everything diplomatically possible to peacefully oppose that wannabe tyrant (https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11840&d=1196721676") and every other tyrant be it in Burma, Cuba, or anywhere else.

And it's not exactly like we don't do things like that. You aren't disputing Mossadegh or any of the other stuff I said, I notice.
Like you say, that was the cold war, give it a rest. The cold war, in order to keep from becoming a hot war, involved using proxies, sometimes foolishly. If there's some other innocent grand plan hidden away to contain the Soviet Union I'm unaware of it. BTW, proxies, some of them equally loathsome, are still touted by some (Paul) as the way Saddam Hussein should have been contained. I fail to see how it would have been so pure and good to contain Saddam and at the same time so evil to use proxies back in the cold war. And no, since the cold war AFAIK we don't do things 'like that'.

Have you seen the photographs of Donald Rumsfeld shaking hands with Saddam Hussein in the 1980's? Most people in leadership positions in the U.S. do not give a rat's behind about democracy and freedom. I am not kidding and these things cannot be dismissed as fantasies of conspiracy theorists.
I hope we can get away from assertion based posts and back to the excellent, well referenced ones I've seen in the past.

mheslep said:
Like you say, that was the cold war, give it a rest.

Ah, the old “you've got to break eggs to make an omelette” justification. Tell me, how far does that go? At what point is it not okay to depose elected governments, support people like Saddam Hussein, be an arms merchant around the world, train religious radicals in terrorist tactics and arm them, torture people in secret prisons, etc.? And was it okay when the Soviets did it or was it bad when they did it but okay when we do it 'cause we're the good guys?

And would you accept “give it a rest” when someone uses the War on Terror to justify things like that?

In any case - I'm not out to prove that the U.S. is itself an Evil Empire, I don't really think that. But we have enough blood on our hands from very ignoble pursuits that for us to say that the Cubans are insufferable bad guys - that we have really super-duper important reasons for doing this kind of stuff and they don't - is more than just the pot calling the kettle black, it's ridiculous.

mheslep said:
'I am not kidding'? I hope we can get away from assertion based posts and back to the excellent, well referenced ones we've had in the past.

BTW, you say this after presenting first-hand anecdotal evidence about the Chavez thing?

You requested references for the Chavez thing and I responded: it's not ironclad, I don't have any, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. But I will take your anecdote into account in thinking about that in the future.

But that's one of many different historical occurances I have cited to demonstrate that freedom and democracy very frequently rate pretty darn low on our list. The other ones I thought were reasonably established fact, but feel free to ask for references on anything you want.

mheslep said:
Eh? NY Times etc would not absolutely run over your grandmother to get a story on how the US was staging a coup somewhere? Every opposition Senator would not run over your dog to get the same?

On this point I'm thinking back to during the Iraq invasion when I compared coverage of it between U.S. television, French Canadian television, and the BBC (while in Britain). On the BBC and on the Canadian channels you saw a heck of a lot more wounded Iraqi children and Iraqis running around in the streets and screaming with blood all over them. I saw almost none of that, by comparison, on the U.S. networks - there was lots more footage of press conferences and artillery targeting and firing and steel-jawed Marines gazing out over the desert or being attacked.

The point being, the press here is not always tripping over themselves to make the administration look bad.

Have you ever seen Democracy Now!, that absurdly left-wing, internet-only nightly news broadcast? It's way too boring to watch regularly but they often run fairly significant stories that don't really appear in the mainstream press.

BTW, you say this after presenting first-hand anecdotal evidence about the Chavez thing?

You requested references for the Chavez thing and I responded: it's not ironclad, I don't have any, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. But I will take your anecdote into account in thinking about that in the future.
I apologize if I sounded condescending. Hey if you, or anyone else on PF that's been here awhile has 1st hand non public info that furthers any discussion I'm interested to see it, esp. if its about specific US officials opposing democratic initiatives. I'm not interested in broad sweeping, stated as irrefutable assertions about all US leadership.

But that's one of many different historical occurances I have cited to demonstrate that freedom and democracy very frequently rate pretty darn low on our list. The other ones I thought were reasonably established fact, but feel free to ask for references on anything you want.
Yes agreed those events in the 50's etc are historical. I don't see that it follows necessarily that freedom and democracy are well down on our list because: 1) As I said those events were rightly and wrongly done as part of the cold war. Again, I ask given the Soviet Union what should have been done instead? Nothing? Have 'regime change' in a nuclear Moscow? 2) The whole neocon argument is to spread freedom and democracy, even at the cost of violently intervening, the idea being that puppet tyrants don't work, never did, they inevitably breed instability and the only true stability in the world comes via democracy. I think this policy was taken up recklessly and with some hubris, but one certainly can't say that freedom and democracy was low on the list of neocon policy.

Last edited: