Why Was Yusuf Islam Denied Entry into the US?

• News
  • Thread starter Mercator
  • Start date
In summary, Mr. Stevens' past support of a fatwah for Salman Rushdie and his current stance on extremist Islamism have caused controversy and raised questions about his presence in the UK. However, he has since clarified his stance and publicly condemned terrorism on multiple occasions. The concept of consuming the body and blood of Christ in Catholicism is not equivalent to the fatwah, and Catholics have worked towards correcting past mistakes and promoting the value of human life.
Mercator
Mr. Stevens was very surprised that he was sent back on the first plane when he wanted to enter the US. I am not aware of his present stance regarding extremist Islamism, but if I remember well, Mr. Stevens approved of the Fatwah that the Ayatollahs laid upon Salmon Rushdie. With other words, Mr. Stevens approved the condemnation to death of a person who supposedly wrote a book with anti-Islamic content. This alone should be reason enough to bar him form any civilized country. Come to think of it: what is Mr. Stevens still doing in the UK? I think it would be much better for him to join his brothers in the Iranian paradise.

Physics news on Phys.org
NBC reports that he never condoned the death of Rushdie; he was only explaining the aspect of Islamic belief referenced in the call for his death. Later Stevens was interviewed and clarified this point. Allegedly he has also publicly condemned terrorism on many occasions.

Yeah, I read that too. The argument was something like: although he supported the fatwah as a serious warning against anyone maligning the prophet of Islam, he did not wish for Rushdie's dead. mmm... Anyone who can explain me why the fatwah is for then?

Keeping in mind that I'm not defending Stevens as I have no idea what his true ideologies may be, the Christian bible calls for some unreasonable actions as well. This doesn't meant that Christians take it all literally.

I mean, after all, the Christian bible essentially teaches that Islam is evil. This doesn't mean that we all believe it.

Edit: I do love his old music. Great stuff!

Last edited:
True, what is in the script is one thing. ( I am an atheist btw, and therefore wish that science and not religion would form the basis of our ethics) But the fatwah is for Islam what the inquisition was for Catholicism. Are there any catholics left who defend the inquisition but wanted nobody to get hurt? Were there ever any? It all sounds like a contradiction to me.

I was thinking how strange the Catholic ritual may seem to someone unfamiliar with the context. Each week everyone gets together to celebrate cannibalism. We eat the body and drink the blood of Christ. This is not only symbolic. I was taught [standard doctrine] that at the moment of consecration, the host [bread] and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ. Consumption of this "real" body and blood is not only the highlight of the mass, it is the primary purpose.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I was thinking how strange the Catholic ritual may seem to someone unfamiliar with the context. Each week everyone gets together to celebrate cannibalism. We eat the body and drink the blood of Christ. This is not only symbolic. I was taught [standard doctrine] that at the moment of consecration, the host [bread] and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ. Consumption of this "real" body and blood is not only the highlight of the mass, it is the primary purpose.
You should immediately be locked away! :smile: I see your point, still think there is a difference with a religious death warrant that IS take seriously by many radical Muslims. It resulted in Rushdie's life in hiding, don't think anybody is hiding from Catholic cannibals after sunday church?

Apparently Cat Stevens' brush with Islamic militants is nothing new. From four years ago:

Yusuf Islam, who became famous as pop star Cat Stevens, has been deported from Israel after apparently being denied entry over his previous backing for a militant Islamic group.

The former pop singer had attempted to enter Israel, after previously being barred in 1990, arriving at 0230 local time.

However, airport authorities detained him after officials discovered his name on a list of people banned from entering the country

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/832796.stm

Partaking of Christ's body and blood is not in any way similar to Rushdie's plight. first of all, Christ himself commanded his apostles and disciples to partake of his body and blood. It isn't cannibalism strictly speaking (cannibalism is to partake or consume another being of the same specie, genus, etc.); Christ is 100% human and 100% divine. In short, WE are not LIKE Christ... if we were, we'd be perfect, we wouldn't have to go to Mass and Salaman Rushdie would be living in peace with the Islamic coalition.

Salman's plight is different to the partaking of Christ's body in Mass precisely because Salman doesn't want to die for what he believed in (which is butchering Islam in Satanic Verses---please read this novel, it is such a good read!---something to die for, if i may,hahaha). He is not divine in any way and there is no such thing as a fatwah in the Roman Catholic tradition. Yes, there had been Catholic inquisitions in the PAST (with the stress on the word PAST) and no amount of reasoning will ever replace the lives lost due to the convoluted mindset of past clergymen AND not even the Holy Bible will condone the evil implications of the inquisition. What we have to remember here is Catholics partake of the Celebration of the Mass precisely because of man's imperfection; man is basically imperfect which is why part of his convoluted thinking made him force non-Catholics and witches to suffer inquisition. But that doesn't mean Catholics never considered any room for change---several councils such as that of Nicea were created to correct the mistakes of the past.

I'm sorry I didn't prepare any scientific explanantion for the phenomenon precisely because the nature of the topic calls for a religious perspective. I am an inactive Catholic but I do know enough regarding my faith to be able to defend it before people. I am not coercing anyone to become Catholic by my response; rather, I believe that by calling on attention to Salman's plight, the fundamental human value of life is a concern made stronger and of common importance among Catholics and non-Catholics and as such should be the issue focused on and not a criticism of a past that can never be undone (such as that of the inquisition).

As for the comment "the christian bible calls for unreasonable actions", only a scholar of the bible can have the right to make such a remark. Unless you yourself have read the Bible in its entirety and in all of its rich historical context (archeologically and anthropologically) will u have the right to tell everyone what "those" unreasonable actions that were called for are. A person can't just simply isolate any instance or event in the Bible, it must always be seen against the whole from which that snippet was taken. It means having to work with the Biblical scholars all over the world to dust and search for historical queues that underline the events in the Bible. We simply won't understand any STORY for that matter if we weren't aware of the context about which it was set.

Sorry, this came in rather long. I welcome any atheists' or non-believers to question this argument after taking on the Herculean task of deciphering the Bible by going out of him or her pride and start reading the Bible from start until finish and after doing so, join anthropologists and archeaologists to understand the context about which the Bible was written. Then and until then will I take your word that indeed the Bible has called for unreasonable actions.

And I guess the same goes for all stories. One cannot aptly make a review regarding a novel one has never read. One cannot aptly describe a movie one has never seen at least once. One cannot aptly debunk a scientific theory unless one understands the premises about which those theories revolve. The same goes for the Bible: unless you have read it as a whole (in regard toits historical context) will one be able to make a wise criticism of it.

I am also a man of science (I am a budding Electronics and Communications Engineer) so I sonehow understand every scientist's dilemma when the realities we face do not coincide with what is empirically observable. But that doesn't mean that when something is unbelievable, it already doesn't exist. There was an epoch in history when ELECTRICITY was considered a myth because the technology of that particular era wasn't enough to make observable and empirical findings to support the theory on the existence of Electricity.

I still respect everyone's desire not to believe in Christ. But a person who doesn't regard human life as a fundamental human value, that person will never earn my respect. Salman shoudn't be killed on account of having butchered Islam. Cat Stevens should think before saying anything---he should be wise and evaluative enough of current events to know the subtle implications of his statement no matter how subtle they are.

Well, good thing about we, atheists is that we neither have fatwahs nor had an inquisition. It is not here that we have to have a discussion on religion as such. Glad we agree on Stevens.

yes, u didn't have inquisitions or fatwahs but atheists do have persistent philosophers who espouse social darwinism which states "un-productive members of society such as beggars should be eliminated---only those who can properly contribute to the wellness of society should be allowed to live". just because you guys didn't have fatwahs nor inquisitions doesn't mean there were no atheist murderers or the like.

did Cat Stevens sing "The Leader of the Band"?

spero meliora (latin for "I hope for better things"),
patrick

allanpatrick said:
yes, u didn't have inquisitions or fatwahs but atheists do have persistent philosophers who espouse social darwinism which states "un-productive members of society such as beggars should be eliminated---only those who can properly contribute to the wellness of society should be allowed to live". just because you guys didn't have fatwahs nor inquisitions doesn't mean there were no atheist murderers or the like.

did Cat Stevens sing "The Leader of the Band"?

spero meliora (latin for "I hope for better things"),
patrick
I think that was Dan Fogelberg. For the rest, don't lay crazy words in my mouth, I have no idea what you are talking about. Any facts?

Back to Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam

I read the article today on his deporting and I was really, really surprised at the decision of the air controls people. If my memory serves me right, Yusuf Islam DID condemn the terrorist attacks and I thought he is pro-peace and he is quite vocal about it! Maybe, yet again, I'm missing something but this whole thing still sounds scandalous to me!

allanpatrick said:
man is basically imperfect which is why part of his convoluted thinking made him force non-Catholics and witches to suffer inquisition.

I am also a man of science

A man of science that believes in witches ? An odd combination, I must say !

(I am a budding Electronics and Communications Engineer) so I sonehow understand every scientist's dilemma when the realities we face do not coincide with what is empirically observable.

What do you mean ? "Reality" is that which is empirically observable. I see no dilemma here.

But that doesn't mean that when something is unbelievable, it already doesn't exist. There was an epoch in history when ELECTRICITY was considered a myth because the technology of that particular era wasn't enough to make observable and empirical findings to support the theory on the existence of Electricity.

And so, lightning and thunder were explained to the masses as signs of God's anger/displeasure with man. The religious leaders have, for centuries, used the unexplained to support the belief in God.

Slowly, through science, things like fire, disease, floods, earthquakes, volcanoes, lightning, celestial mechanics, the life-cycle of stars, meteors, auroras, hurricanes, and now evolution have been explained. And until science explained these things (and many more), the people were told that these things were miracles that could only be performed by a omnipotent being.

Okay, lest this turn into a debate that gets rerouted to Philosophy, let me return you to thewords of Cat Stevens :

Peace Train

Now I've been happy lately, thinking about the good things to come
And I believe it could be, something good has begun

Oh I've been smiling lately, dreaming about the world as one
And I believe it could be, some day it's going to come

Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train
Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again

Now I've been smiling lately, thinking about the good things to come
And I believe it could be, something good has begun

Oh peace train sounding louder
Glide on the peace train
Come on now peace train
Yes, peace train holy roller
Everyone jump upon the peace train
Come on now peace train

Get your bags together, go bring your good friends too
Cause it's getting nearer, it soon will be with you

Now come and join the living, it's not so far from you
And it's getting nearer, soon it will all be true

Now I've been crying lately, thinking about the world as it is
Why must we go on hating, why can't we live in bliss

Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train
Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again

Is it allowed to prefer "Sweet home Alabama?" Cajun and zydeco's OK too.

Shahil said:
I read the article today on his deporting and I was really, really surprised at the decision of the air controls people. If my memory serves me right, Yusuf Islam DID condemn the terrorist attacks and I thought he is pro-peace and he is quite vocal about it! Maybe, yet again, I'm missing something but this whole thing still sounds scandalous to me!

Shahil, remember that religion is like opium to the people!

Tom Ridge has already explained that Cat Stevens' late 80s comments had nothing to do with his deportation. They may very well have something on him.

allanpatrick said:
Partaking of Christ's body and blood is not in any way similar to Rushdie's plight. first of all, Christ himself commanded his apostles and disciples to partake of his body and blood. It isn't cannibalism strictly speaking (cannibalism is to partake or consume another being of the same specie, genus, etc.); Christ is 100% human and 100% divine. In short, WE are not LIKE Christ... if we were, we'd be perfect, we wouldn't have to go to Mass and Salaman Rushdie would be living in peace with the Islamic coalition.

Like I said, I was thinking about how strange it would seem to someone not familiar with the context.

As for the comment "the christian bible calls for unreasonable actions", only a scholar of the bible can have the right to make such a remark. Unless you yourself have read the Bible in its entirety and in all of its rich historical context (archeologically and anthropologically) will u have the right to tell everyone what "those" unreasonable actions that were called for are.

Well, as a Catholic kid in a Catholic school I studied the bible six days a week for eight years. This was in addition to attending church seven days a week at times as an alter boy, and six days a week as the norm; in addition to church youth groups and other school related activities in which we studied the bible "religously". I have read the bible cover to cover a number of times since and have probably studied most familiar passages within their proper context [as argued by various scholar] dozens of times each. I have also been a practicing member of several denominations and a casual member of half a dozen more.

Now, it has been a long time since I got into all of this, and I do forget a lot of the details, but I am willing to bet that I still remember a little of what went on in the old Testament. I also know that by definition [according the mainstream Christian beliefs] Muslims are damned unless they accept Christ. So I think we all need to understand that orthodox religous beliefs can sound much more extreme than most people really accept as true - that they would implement as a daily guide to life. This was my point.

I've even read all of the begats a few times! I have always had a fondness for all of that begetting. :tongue2:

Last edited:
I had to throw this in. IIRC, technically it is still a sin to shave.

I have to agree with a previous post that science did explain things medieval citizen attributed to an omnipotent being.

Gokul, stop putting words in my mouth as well: I do not believe in witches! I believe that people long ago died branded as witches! Gokul, whoever you are, please don't put words in people's mouths. It is my calling and not yours to reconcile science with God. If u think they are simply irreconcilable, that is ur calling. Like I said in my previous post, I would never coerce anyone here in this forum to believe in God. It is ur freedom not to.

For Ivan Seeking (and for those who are interested to read): yep I experienced the same thing. Went through Catholic schools all the way... regarding Muslim condemnation, the Catholic Church has these dogmas that ascertain how morally culpable you are of not believing in Christ. In theology class, my teacher who had a doctorate in Catholic dogmas, said there is such a thing as salvation outside the Christian Church and this is made possible if one follows the covenant made in hearts of men, a covenant between man and God. This covenant is what we simply call today as a conscience. Sorry for other readers if u can't relate with what I'm saying. Once again, I stress that whatever I mention here is not a coercion to join the Catholic or Christian faith.You guys have the freedom to choose what to believe in (as long as ur belief doesn't compromise the fundamental human value that is life---nobody has the right to murder anyone).

i hope for better things,
patrick

allanpatrick said:
Gokul, stop putting words in my mouth as well: I do not believe in witches! I believe that people long ago died branded as witches! Gokul, whoever you are, please don't put words in people's mouths. It is my calling and not yours to reconcile science with God. If u think they are simply irreconcilable, that is ur calling. Like I said in my previous post, I would never coerce anyone here in this forum to believe in God. It is ur freedom not to.

allanpatrick, I'm sorry if I offended you. I take back what I said.

That was the impression I got from reading your words "man is basically imperfect which is why part of his convoluted thinking made him force non-Catholics and witches to suffer inquisition." Had you said something like "non-Catholics and people that were branded as witches" I would not have misunderstood you.

I have no intention of putting words into other people's mouths, nor did I do this. I was merely interpreting the words from your own mouth in the most literal way.

"moonshadow..moonshadow"
I seem to remember Cats Stevens being on a Hamas Financiers list...maybe that is what is behind Powell's strong stance?

Last edited:
allanpatrick said:
"un-productive members of society such as beggars should be eliminated---only those who can properly contribute to the wellness of society should be allowed to live".

That's called capitalism, no ?

:tongue2: :tongue2:

cheers,
Patrick.

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=572cea4b-839c-4080-9999-f53611a46aba

TORONTO - Yusuf Islam, the British singer formerly known as Cat Stevens, was the guest of honour at a Toronto fundraising dinner hosted by an organization that has since been identified by the Canadian government as a "front" for the Palestinian terrorist group Hamas.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the meaning behind the song "Cat Stevens: song over."?

The meaning behind the song is open to interpretation, but many believe it is about the passage of time and the inevitability of change. Some also see it as a commentary on the music industry and how artists are often pressured to conform to certain expectations.

When was "Cat Stevens: song over." released and on what album?

The song was released in 1971 on Cat Stevens' album "Teaser and the Firecat." It was also released as a single in the UK and reached number 9 on the charts.

Did "Cat Stevens: song over." win any awards?

No, the song did not win any awards. However, it remains one of Cat Stevens' most popular and well-known songs.

What instruments are used in "Cat Stevens: song over."?

The song features acoustic guitar, piano, bass, drums, and vocals by Cat Stevens. There are also strings and a flute solo, which add to the dreamy and nostalgic feel of the song.

Has "Cat Stevens: song over." been covered by other artists?

Yes, the song has been covered by several artists, including Sheryl Crow, The Flaming Lips, and Yo La Tengo. It has also been featured in various films and TV shows.