Cat urine in pool chemical room

• Thread starter assembler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, your cat has urinated in the room where chlorine is stored and this could create a toxic gas. To prevent this from happening, you should keep the cat locked out of the room and keep the pool chemicals out of the reach of children and pets.
assembler
Discovered that my cat has been urinating in my pool equipment room this winter. My equipment room is in my basement. We store all of our pool chemicals here. I am worried that the chlorine will mix with the urine and create a toxic gas. Could this happen? Sometimes when my husband refills our chlorinator there is a stong odor given off.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Shouldn't be enough ammonia in the cat urine to be a problem. Just vent the room well as and after you clean up. Which, really, you should be doing for anywhere you store chlorine at anyway.

You could try locking your cat out of the room.

Just a thought.

assembler said:
Discovered that my cat has been urinating in my pool equipment room this winter. My equipment room is in my basement. We store all of our pool chemicals here. I am worried that the chlorine will mix with the urine and create a toxic gas. Could this happen? Sometimes when my husband refills our chlorinator there is a stong odor given off.
Rinse the urine spots with some vinegar and then with water.

I would think the simple chlorine gas escaping as you're pouring the chemicals into the water would be more of a concern than the small amount of reactant from the urine. You should install a good vent fan into that room to ensure none of those chemicals are accumulating in the air you're breathing. None of that is healthy in enclosed spaces (the whole point of using chlorine in the pool is to KILL stuff...enough of it will kill you too).

Always keep swimming pool chemicals out of the reach of children and pets. You should place your pool chemicals in a locked room or closet. It is very hazardous. Close the pool chemical containers tightly because it gives off harmful gas. Use mask and gloves when handling chemicals. And never mix them to other chemicals because it can explode and cause fire.

Assembler went dark after her first post two years ago. Pity that you didn't come by sooner.

We all expect that the worst has happened... BOOM!

What causes cat urine to end up in a pool chemical room?

Cat urine can end up in a pool chemical room if a cat has access to the area and chooses to urinate there. This can happen if the room is not properly secured or if the cat is allowed to roam freely.

Is cat urine harmful to pool chemicals?

Yes, cat urine can be harmful to pool chemicals. It contains ammonia and other compounds that can react with the chemicals and alter their effectiveness. It can also create an unpleasant odor in the room.

How can cat urine be removed from a pool chemical room?

The best way to remove cat urine from a pool chemical room is to clean the area thoroughly with a mixture of water and vinegar. This will help neutralize the ammonia and eliminate the odor. It is also important to keep the room properly secured to prevent future incidents.

Can cat urine pose a health risk to humans in a pool chemical room?

In most cases, cat urine does not pose a significant health risk to humans in a pool chemical room. However, some people may be allergic to cat urine and may experience symptoms such as sneezing, itching, and watery eyes. It is important to clean up the urine and keep the area well-ventilated to reduce the risk of any potential health hazards.

How can cat urine in a pool chemical room be prevented?

To prevent cat urine from ending up in a pool chemical room, it is important to keep the area properly secured and inaccessible to cats. This may involve installing a door or gate to restrict access. It is also important to regularly clean and maintain the area to prevent any potential accidents.