Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cat walking

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be above freezing and my cat really misses being outdoors and I'm going stir crazy because the weather has been so bad for so long, it's been too cold to do anything outside for months.

I'm going to stop off at the pet megamart after work and get a cat harness for Dr Foofer. He's pretty laid back, so I can probably get a harness on him, I just don't know if he'll move after it's on. I saw a cool cat jacket harness online that looks much more comfortable, but I don't know if he'd agree to wearing a jacket.

How many people walk their cats? My cat is 11 years old and has never been on a leash.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2008 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Evo you really should have the FMA, who ever heard of taking a cat for a walk, LOL.

4. Mar 10, 2008 #3
    it would look pretty damn wierd to see a cat on a leash!!!!!

5. Mar 10, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've seen it done, but never tried it myself. I prefer my skin to be unbroken.

I keep getting a mental picture of a marlin on the line...let us know how it goes!

6. Mar 10, 2008 #5

Evo

My neighbors in Chicago used to walk their cats all the time, but they had been walking them since they were kittens.

7. Mar 10, 2008 #6

Evo

FMA?

8. Mar 10, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

My grandparents put their huge orange tiger "Fluffy" on a light rope by the front door and let him walk himself. They tied him up because he was beating up the neighborhood dogs and the neighbors were complaining. He would not have been receptive to being walked on a leash, but on his rope, he was the boss, within limits.

9. Mar 10, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Funniest------Member--------Award.

And on top of the cutest.

10. Mar 10, 2008 #9
    I walk one of my cats because he use to be a outdoor cat. It took him about a week to get use to it, and I had to ask my neighbors if they minded, because sometimes he likes to check out their bushes. But now he knows what the harness means, and he loves his outdoor adventures.

11. Mar 10, 2008 #10
    Believe it or not the cat will love you just as much even if you don't take it for a walk. Just let it wait until the weather is better. If you let the cat out when the weather is nice go ahead and let it out now. It will come back in if its too cold.

12. Mar 10, 2008 #11

Evo

I think his love of being outdoors will eventually outweigh the fact that he's tethered. He just sits in the window all day and chatters at the birds and squirrels (I put the bird seed down in front of the window so he has a constant array of "guests").

My problem is that the fruit bat is going to want to walk at the same time and he's never been on a leash either. Where I lived they didn't have leash laws and he never ventured more than a few feet from me. Now that I live "in the city" I believe there is a leash law. I can just imagine the two of them getting tangled together every 60 seconds. :rolleyes:

13. Mar 10, 2008 #12
    tie the bat to the cat

14. Mar 10, 2008 #13

Evo

I can't let him roam free where I live now. He needs to get out and run. *I* need to get out and move too.

15. Mar 10, 2008 #14
    Getting chubby?

16. Mar 10, 2008 #15

Evo

Flabby. Gone from "buns of steel" to "buns of jello". The fall, broken arm, injured shoulder and lower back, leg, knee, etc... I haven't exercised since mid September.

17. Mar 10, 2008 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After the harness is on him, he can simply be dragged, no?

- Warren

18. Mar 10, 2008 #17

Evo

Well, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.

I can always fit a cat carrier into a wagon and wheel him around the neighborhood. Not like the neighbors will think I'm nuts or anything. :uhh:

19. Mar 10, 2008 #18

Evo

20. Mar 10, 2008 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Never walked a cat before. Why can't he just be let out?

21. Mar 10, 2008 #20

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why in the world would you push a cat around in a stroller? :uhh: I thought the point was for the poor thing to get some exercise anyway.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?