Exploring the Possibility of Taking My Cat for a Walk

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I had a cat that I took for walks. I used to drag him around by his harness, but now that he's older I just take him in the car. In summary, tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be above freezing and my cat really misses being outdoors and I'm going stir crazy because the weather has been so bad for so long, it's been too cold to do anything outside for months. I'm going to stop off at the pet megamart after work and get a cat harness for Dr Foofer. He's pretty laid back, so I can probably get a harness on him, I just don't know if he'll move after it's on. I saw a cool cat jacket harness online that
Evo said:
Thanks Far Star! I really like that cat jacket, a handle on the back is a brilliant idea! I would definitely add one for a quick pick up.

You're welcome.

If you order one ask them about adding a handle as far as buckle strength and stitching. The harness might be strong enough for walks but iffy on lifting. No need for further "oops" factors. :<)

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
It's such a myth that it's unnatural for cats to be kept indoors. They're DOMESTIC animals, SELECTIVELY BRED by HUMANS to live with humans. They AREN'T wild cats, they're HOUSE pets. Provide enough stimulation for them indoors by being a good parent to them and they will be quite happy inside without destroying the real WILDLIFE that DOES belong outdoors and has no chance against such an unnatural predatation pressure as an overpopulation of domestic cats.

Well I disagree frankly any more than it's natural for a dog to be in doors. Everyone in this country let's their cat come and go, as far as I know that's the same everywhere else in the world. That you don't is fine but I genuinely don't see what the fuss is.

Last edited:
I decided to get a harness until I get around to ordering the cat jacket, but I thought I could pick one up at Walmart since I was going there anyway.

No harness. :frown:

On a related note, I want a firepit. I saw some small ones last night that looked great. I wonder if I am allowed a firepit, I see people with barbecues.

Cat ... leash ... Pinky ... Internet fame? Mmmm, it's already been done.

You need something novel to spice it up. Cat tied to Fruitbat tied to leash tied to woman's hand (who happens to be standing next to ravine) has some interesting possibilities.

You might want to use a stunt double, though.

You will post the video here first, though, right?

Ooh, wait! A firepit? This could get interesting!

Attachments

• Alhambra fire.jpg
    Alhambra fire.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 440
  • Mosaic firepit.jpg
    Mosaic firepit.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 431
Last edited by a moderator:
oooooo, nice :!) ! They're both nice...I like the mosaic best.

lisab said:
oooooo, nice :!) ! They're both nice...I like the mosaic best.
Yes, I'm leaning toward that one too.

Both my younger sisters in the area have real stone fire-pits at their houses. They are wide shallow holes in their back lawns, lined with rocks, and ringed by a seating area paved with flat stones. It's a nice way to take the chill off an evening outside, with maybe some marshmallows, hot dogs, etc.

Do those things run on MAPP gas?

tribdog said:
Do those things run on MAPP gas?
Nope.

I've got an adapter. c'mon live a little

turbo-1 said:
I wish people would stop doing that. I live 'way out in the country and there are still enough people around here with "outdoor" cats that I rarely see any ground-nesting birds. Cats are extremely destructive on wildlife. When entire classes of birds are wiped out by cats just for the fun of it, our ecology suffers.

Thats a slight overstatement, at least where we are. We have 6 cats and all of them are outdoor cats (albeit one has only 3 legs) and the bird life is still phenomenal. We had a covey (sp?) of nearly 30 quail come to right outside our window of the living room. Really the birds here get smart and avoid cats. Maybe you just have stupid birds where you are...

binzing said:
Thats a slight overstatement, at least where we are. We have 6 cats and all of them are outdoor cats (albeit one has only 3 legs) and the bird life is still phenomenal. We had a covey (sp?) of nearly 30 quail come to right outside our window of the living room. Really the birds here get smart and avoid cats. Maybe you just have stupid birds where you are...
This is a very rural area, but people have been moving out here, and many of them have "outdoor" cats. Since I am a bird-watcher, I notice when whole species go missing in what would otherwise be ideal habitat. Cats do not belong in the wild. The food and shelter that humans supply them give them a huge advantage over the wildlife that they prey on, who have to fend for themselves, and in doing so, expose themselves to predation. There is a difference between wild predators and cats. Wild predators have to come to some kind of balance with their prey, so that they don't eliminate their food supply. Domestic cats are under no such pressure, and will kill off entire broods of grouse, etc, just for the sake of killing them.

Evo said:
Tomorrow the temperature is supposed to be above freezing and my cat really misses being outdoors and I'm going stir crazy because the weather has been so bad for so long, it's been too cold to do anything outside for months.

I'm going to stop off at the pet megamart after work and get a cat harness for Dr Foofer. He's pretty laid back, so I can probably get a harness on him, I just don't know if he'll move after it's on. I saw a cool cat jacket harness online that looks much more comfortable, but I don't know if he'd agree to wearing a jacket.

How many people walk their cats? My cat is 11 years old and has never been on a leash.

My cat has evidently found a better home or has been killed ; it's been a year since he's been home

just canceled his membership to Banfield

Good ideas for a patio or yard. The pre-built are fairly expensive but they do have kits and plans on some of the sites:

http://catnet.stanford.edu/articles/enclosures.html

My cats used to be more or less free roaming back in the day. The neighbors knew what dogs or cats belonged where so they always looked out for them. Not anymore. If you've ever been stuck in the position of watching 15 or 20 cars on a semi-residential street try to nudge a puppy out of traffic with their cars it's really heartbreaking.

I'm sorry about your cat GCT. No matter what the reason it's difficult to lose a companion.

Last edited by a moderator: