How can I increase the distance of a catapult launch with a hollow ball?

In summary: Ok, I see my errors in judgement now. After a little research I found out the lift comes from air pressure, not friction with the air. I think it's the Bernouli Affect that says when air is moving faster there is lower pressure. Since the air is freely flowing over the side spinning away from the direction thrown, it should be lifted that way. Thanks for correcting me, otherwise I would have never realized all this.
Amenable Me
I'm building a catapult meant to fire a plastic ball as far as possible with the following items: 36 popsicle sticks, glue, 6 rubber bands, 4 clothes pins, a small stryofoam cup, and 4 feet of string. The ball has a radius of just under an inch, and it is very light. I am not meant to modify the ball in any way.

I have heard that to counter wind resistance you should aim it at a higher angle, maybe 50 rather than 45. Since it is so light, as in not dense, how much increase in angle should I compensate with?

Also I was wondering if anyone knew a proper, feasible way to make the ball travel a greater distance that won't comprimise the integrity of my catapult. I can upload a diagram of my catapult if necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amenable Me said:
I'm building a catapult meant to fire a plastic ball as far as possible with the following items: 36 popsicle sticks, glue, 6 rubber bands, 4 clothes pins, a small stryofoam cup, and 4 feet of string. The ball has a radius of just under an inch, and it is very light. I am not meant to modify the ball in any way.

I have heard that to counter wind resistance you should aim it at a higher angle, maybe 50 rather than 45. Since it is so light, as in not dense, how much increase in angle should I compensate with?

Also I was wondering if anyone knew a proper, feasible way to make the ball travel a greater distance that won't comprimise the integrity of my catapult. I can upload a diagram of my catapult if necessary.

That's what Research and Development is all about. I expect you would try different angles and see which one works best.
When you consider the flight of a table tennis ball which is spinning, you might try to impart some appropriate spin on your ball?

PeterO said:
That's what Research and Development is all about. I expect you would try different angles and see which one works best.
When you consider the flight of a table tennis ball which is spinning, you might try to impart some appropriate spin on your ball?
I had considered spin but I can't think of any solutions for that that aren't overly complicated. The problem is that it needs to spin forward, backwards is easy because it does it naturally, but forwards requires some trickyness.

Amenable Me said:
I had considered spin but I can't think of any solutions for that that aren't overly complicated. The problem is that it needs to spin forward, backwards is easy because it does it naturally, but forwards requires some trickyness.

Table tennis balls spinning backwards go further! Table tennis balls [and tennis balls] spinning forward dive down - landing short.

PeterO said:
Table tennis balls spinning backwards go further! Table tennis balls [and tennis balls] spinning forward dive down - landing short.

Ok, I see my errors in judgement now. After a little research I found out the lift comes from air pressure, not friction with the air. I think it's the Bernouli Affect that says when air is moving faster there is lower pressure. Since the air is freely flowing over the side spinning away from the direction thrown, it should be lifted that way. Thanks for correcting me, otherwise I would have never realized all this.

What is a catapult?

A catapult is a type of siege weapon that was used in medieval times to launch projectiles, such as stones and arrows, at enemy fortifications.

How does a catapult work?

A catapult works by storing potential energy in its tensioned ropes or springs, and then releasing that energy to launch a projectile. The release of the tension causes the arm of the catapult to rapidly move, propelling the projectile forward.

What is a hollow ball?

A hollow ball is a spherical object with an empty space inside. It can be made from a variety of materials, such as plastic, metal, or rubber.

How is a hollow ball used in a catapult?

A hollow ball can be used as a projectile in a catapult. The hollow space inside the ball allows for it to be launched at a greater distance and with more accuracy compared to a solid object of the same size and weight.

What are the benefits of using a hollow ball in a catapult?

Using a hollow ball in a catapult allows for greater flexibility and control in terms of the distance and accuracy of the projectile. The hollow space also makes the ball lighter, making it easier to launch and reducing strain on the catapult's mechanisms.