1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Catapult Physics

1. Jun 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How simple mechanics equations can be used to describe force, acceleration, speed, distance, etc. of a catapult.

2. Relevant equations

This is my question. I have the time and distance travelled already, I'm hoping for some help as to what formulas to use. I don't need them filled out for me, just some suggestions as to what formulas will describe which parts

3. The attempt at a solution

Not necessary, just some general formula help...I am fine with formulas and explanations based on formulas once I get them, but my formulas were all in my physics book, which I no longer have.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2007 #2
    do u mean the catapult itself or the thing it throws?

4. Jun 10, 2007 #3
    The projectile being thrown.

5. Jun 10, 2007 #4
    if u neglect air friction u can use consevation of energy,

then u have the basic projectile equations which are similar to one dimentional kinematics equatios:

range = v(x) * time
    [v(y)(final)]^2 = [v(y)(initial)]^2 + 2*g*h
    delta y= [v(y)(initial)]*t + (g*t^2)/2
    and u can always use x=v*t

u can also use conservation of the momentum for relative movements of the projectile and the catapult itself

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?