Solving Catapult Physics Homework with Simple Mechanics Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses how simple mechanics equations can be used to describe the force, acceleration, speed, and distance of a catapult. The person is seeking help with which formulas to use and is specifically interested in the projectile being thrown. They mention using conservation of energy and provide some basic projectile equations and the conservation of momentum equation as possible options.
fishmonkeys

Homework Statement

How simple mechanics equations can be used to describe force, acceleration, speed, distance, etc. of a catapult.

Homework Equations

This is my question. I have the time and distance traveled already, I'm hoping for some help as to what formulas to use. I don't need them filled out for me, just some suggestions as to what formulas will describe which parts

The Attempt at a Solution

Not necessary, just some general formula help...I am fine with formulas and explanations based on formulas once I get them, but my formulas were all in my physics book, which I no longer have.

Physics news on Phys.org
do u mean the catapult itself or the thing it throws?

The projectile being thrown.

if u neglect air friction u can use consevation of energy,

then u have the basic projectile equations which are similar to one dimensional kinematics equatios:

range = v(x) * time
[v(y)(final)]^2 = [v(y)(initial)]^2 + 2*g*h
delta y= [v(y)(initial)]*t + (g*t^2)/2
and u can always use x=v*t

u can also use conservation of the momentum for relative movements of the projectile and the catapult itself

1. What is a catapult?

A catapult is a simple machine that uses the principles of physics to launch a projectile at a high velocity. It consists of a base, a lever arm, and a projectile, such as a rock or ball.

2. How does a catapult work?

A catapult works by using the tension created by pulling back the lever arm to store potential energy in the catapult's arm. When the lever arm is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, launching the projectile forward.

3. What are the basic mechanics equations used to solve catapult physics homework?

The basic mechanics equations used to solve catapult physics homework are the equations for force (F=ma), work (W=Fd), and energy (E=1/2mv²). These equations can be used to calculate the force, work, and energy involved in a catapult launch.

4. How do you calculate the force of a catapult launch?

To calculate the force of a catapult launch, you can use the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. First, determine the mass of the projectile and the acceleration at which it is launched. Then, plug these values into the equation to calculate the force.

5. Can you use catapults to launch objects into space?

No, catapults are not powerful enough to launch objects into space. They are limited by the amount of potential energy that can be stored in the lever arm and the strength of the materials used. To launch objects into space, much more powerful propulsion systems, such as rockets, are needed.