Solving Catapult Problem: Launch Speed, Time in Air, and Impact Speed

• Thread starter Mainian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catapult
In summary: The velocity is 9.81 m/s.In summary, the artillerymen launched spaetzle projectiles from their catapults at a Roman fortification whose walls were 8.5 m high. The projectiles were to hit the top of the wall, splattering the Roman soldier atop the wall with pulverized pasta. The launch speed was necessary, and the projectiles were in the air for 2.5 seconds.
Mainian

Homework Statement

Catapults date from thousands of years ago, and were used historically to launch everything from stones to horses. During a battle in what is now Bavaria, inventive artillerymen from the united German clans launched giant spaetzle from their catapults toward a Roman fortification whose walls were 8.50 m high. The catapults launched spaetzle projectiles from a height of 3.30 m above the ground, and a distance of 39.1 m from the walls of the fortification at an angle of 60.0 degrees above the horizontal (see figure). The projectiles were to hit the top of the wall, splattering the Roman soldier atop the wall with pulverized pasta. (For the following questions, ignore any effects due to air resistance.)

What launch speed was necessary?

How long were the spaetzle in the air?

At what speed did the projectiles hit the wall?

Homework Equations

Velocity in M/S
Time in seconds
x = x(initial) + velocity*t(s)+.5*a(t^2)
Vf^2 = VI^2 + 2*a*x (x = distance)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is submitted via webassign and I've tried solving the right triangle made by the distance and the difference in heights of the starting location and ending location. (39.44 m) and then attempting to treat the projection with that being the total x-change and solving another right triangle to change the acceleration.

I'm rather lost I know the physics of the problem (x-velocity independent of acceleration) and y-component dependent upon the velocity up. Any tips how to start this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
difference in heights of the starting location and ending location. (39.44 m) and then attempting to treat the projection with that being the total x-change
Surely the difference in heights is 5.2 m: launched from 3.3 m and walls are 8.5m.

You must keep horizontal numbers separate from vertical ones all the way through. No triangles.

Delphi51 said:
Surely the difference in heights is 5.2 m: launched from 3.3 m and walls are 8.5m.

You must keep horizontal numbers separate from vertical ones all the way through. No triangles.

Thanks, but I was able to solve the first two questions and I am working on the last one.

I created two formulas for the summations of the x and y vectors(both of which had the total summation of the launch vector) and solved in terms of time (in air). I set equal to each other and solved.

1. What is a catapult and how does it work?

A catapult is a simple machine used to launch objects through the air. It works by using stored energy in the form of tension, torsion, or gravity to quickly release a projectile and propel it forward.

2. How do I calculate the launch speed of a catapult?

The launch speed of a catapult can be calculated by dividing the distance the projectile travels by the time it takes to reach that distance. This can be done through experiments or by using mathematical equations based on the type of catapult being used.

3. What factors affect the time in air of a catapulted object?

The time in air of a catapulted object is affected by various factors such as the launch speed, angle of launch, air resistance, and the weight and shape of the projectile. These factors can be manipulated to achieve desired results in terms of time in air.

4. How is impact speed determined in a catapult problem?

The impact speed in a catapult problem can be determined by calculating the velocity of the projectile at the moment of impact. This can be done by using equations that take into account the launch speed, angle of launch, and gravitational pull.

5. Can catapult problems be solved using real-life scenarios?

Yes, catapult problems can be solved using real-life scenarios by taking into account various factors such as the materials and design of the catapult, environmental conditions, and the properties of the projectile. These factors can be adjusted to accurately simulate real-life situations.