• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Catapult trigger

• Thread starter Coco12
  • Start date
Does anyone have any cool ideas for a catapult trigger. I plan to have a hook attached to bottom of cup that holds the ball and 2 hooks on the base that when you pull the catapult all the way down and put a nail through all three hooks. There will be a string attached to the nail but I need something that would pull the string and the nail along with it.

Answers and Replies

Step 1 (optional) Get a dog
Step 2: Train your dog to do fetch command
Step 3: Attach the string to the dog's tail and do the fetch command
And... that's how you do remote controller.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
A slot-car motor could wind the string around a pulley or shaft.

A trigger complicates thing a bit too much as far as a catapult is concerned...
But even so, here is something I had thought of doing:
(With a trebuchet - 5th grade sci. project...never completed the trigger part)
A Large spur gear fixed to the 'projecting shaft' synced to another gear (a spur gear cut to get 120 deg section) attached to a (4.5V I think) DC motor controlled by a switch.
The motor gets the shaft down- switch off- Lock and load- Switch on again- as the gears lose contact the projectile launches-gears regain contact- cycle continues.
But I never tried it out...no spur gears of the required sizes and cutting up beyblade rip-cords wasn't exactly working out...project was due soon too...

The trigger must be small in size can't be too big, and must be made with materials from home( easy to get and doesn't cost much)

For example anything I could do with magnets?

For example anything I could do with magnets?
Permanent magnets won't help but electromagnets might but a mechanical solution is the best IMO.
How much automation do you want? If you are okay with manually dragging down the shaft and just are looking for a trigger you could just use things like board clips/clothespin and a piece of string for a simple solution. Or if you are looking for something more elegant you could use a string and pulley (a bobbin or a reel would do nicely) attached to a handle which can spun to bring the shaft down and released to fire.

berkeman
Mentor
Does anyone have any cool ideas for a catapult trigger. I plan to have a hook attached to bottom of cup that holds the ball and 2 hooks on the base that when you pull the catapult all the way down and put a nail through all three hooks. There will be a string attached to the nail but I need something that would pull the string and the nail along with it.
Since this is likely a schoolwork project, I will move the thread to the Homework Help forums, and only give a visual hint...

http://www.doorware.com/images/products/deltana-mortise-bolt.jpg
deltana-mortise-bolt.jpg