1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Catapult trigger

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    Does anyone have any cool ideas for a catapult trigger. I plan to have a hook attached to bottom of cup that holds the ball and 2 hooks on the base that when you pull the catapult all the way down and put a nail through all three hooks. There will be a string attached to the nail but I need something that would pull the string and the nail along with it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2
    Step 1 (optional) Get a dog
    Step 2: Train your dog to do fetch command
    Step 3: Attach the string to the dog's tail and do the fetch command
    And... that's how you do remote controller.

4. Nov 21, 2013 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

A slot-car motor could wind the string around a pulley or shaft.

5. Nov 21, 2013 #4
    A trigger complicates thing a bit too much as far as a catapult is concerned...
    But even so, here is something I had thought of doing:
    (With a trebuchet - 5th grade sci. project...never completed the trigger part)
    A Large spur gear fixed to the 'projecting shaft' synced to another gear (a spur gear cut to get 120 deg section) attached to a (4.5V I think) DC motor controlled by a switch.
    The motor gets the shaft down- switch off- Lock and load- Switch on again- as the gears lose contact the projectile launches-gears regain contact- cycle continues.
    But I never tried it out...no spur gears of the required sizes and cutting up beyblade rip-cords wasn't exactly working out...project was due soon too...

6. Nov 21, 2013 #5
    The trigger must be small in size can't be too big, and must be made with materials from home( easy to get and doesn't cost much)

7. Nov 21, 2013 #6
    For example anything I could do with magnets?

8. Nov 21, 2013 #7
    Permanent magnets won't help but electromagnets might but a mechanical solution is the best IMO.
    How much automation do you want? If you are okay with manually dragging down the shaft and just are looking for a trigger you could just use things like board clips/clothespin and a piece of string for a simple solution. Or if you are looking for something more elegant you could use a string and pulley (a bobbin or a reel would do nicely) attached to a handle which can spun to bring the shaft down and released to fire.

9. Nov 21, 2013 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Since this is likely a schoolwork project, I will move the thread to the Homework Help forums, and only give a visual hint...

http://www.doorware.com/images/products/deltana-mortise-bolt.jpg
    deltana-mortise-bolt.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted