Calculating Catapult Velocity: Grade 12 Physics Guide

In summary, a grade 12 physics project involves building a catapult and determining its theoretical speed using the law of conservation of energy. However, the calculations may not be fully efficient and may require more information, such as a diagram of the apparatus. Factors such as tension and friction may also affect the accuracy of the calculations. Additionally, the projectile may launch before the mechanism reaches its most relaxed state, making it difficult to judge. Proper maintenance, such as oiling the pivot, and experimental methods, such as using a video camera, may help improve the accuracy of the results.
kervyn
For grade 12 physics we have built a catapult and it is now our job to determine a few things about it. Its a fixed arm rotating around a lever. It's energy comes from a band stretched when the catapult is wound back. (band is attached to base and onto non-throwing portion of arm) I am just curious as whether or not the law of conservation of energy will help find the theoretical speed of the catapult's arm.

I know the elastic potential energy in the band, if i solve for Velocity will that correspond to the system?

0.5kx^2=0.5mv^2

I have an excel spread sheet solving for Velocity but based on my video evidence the theoretical does not match up with actual velocity. I'm aware its not fully efficient. Are my calculations relevant to the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
kervyn said:
I know the elastic potential energy in the band, if i solve for Velocity will that correspond to the system?
The blunt answer is yes, though the extent of how much it will correspond depends on how the system works. I think we need more information to figure this out. Could you attach a diagram?

here is a photo of it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-25 at 7.58.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-25 at 7.58.57 PM.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 511
Typically, the tension doesn't start from 0. Even in the 'relaxed' state of the mechanism, the elastic material should be already under considerable tension. This makes it much more efficient. The energy stored becomes k{(x+δx)2-x2}/2, or about k x δx, instead of k δx2/2. However, from the photograph this might not apply to yours.
Some of the energy will go into the KE of the arm etc. You should be able to calculate this.
The projectile may launch before the mechanism has reached its most relaxed state. It might be hard to judge if that is the case.

One of your hurdles is to find the rotational kinetic energy of the arm at the time of release. However it is possible to calculate the angular velocity of the arm(ω) in terms of the velocity of the projectile(v) at this instant by a very simple relation v=rω where r is the distance between the pivot and the point where the projectile is kept.

Also I would advise you to properly oil the pivot so that minimum energy is lost due to friction as the band moves.

The apparatus looks quite light so be careful that it doesn't move backwards and spoils the calculation.

I agree that most probably the projectile won't release when the band is at natural length. This is probably the biggest hurdle but the angle of release can be found experimentally. Eg. from using a video camera preferably with slow motion recording.

1. What is the formula for calculating catapult velocity?

The formula for calculating catapult velocity is V = √(2gh), where V represents velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the object is launched.

2. How does lever length affect catapult velocity?

Lever length does not directly affect catapult velocity, but it can impact the torque or rotational force applied to the catapult arm. A longer lever arm can provide greater torque, allowing for a stronger launch and potentially higher velocity.

3. What are the factors that can affect catapult velocity?

The factors that can affect catapult velocity include the strength and design of the catapult arm, the weight and shape of the projectile, and the angle and force of the release mechanism. Environmental factors such as wind and temperature can also play a role.

4. How can I increase the velocity of my catapult?

To increase the velocity of a catapult, you can adjust the angle and force of the release mechanism, use a more aerodynamic projectile, or strengthen and optimize the design of the catapult arm. Additionally, reducing friction and minimizing air resistance can also help increase velocity.

5. Is catapult velocity affected by the weight of the projectile?

Yes, the weight of the projectile can affect catapult velocity. A heavier projectile will require more force to launch and may result in a lower velocity, while a lighter projectile can be launched with less force and potentially achieve higher velocity.