1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Catapulting to the top: A ping pong story

1. Apr 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To be able to launch a ping pong ball 5 to 15 feet from various angles in order to hit a desired target (cup).

Basically I have to make a ping pong cataplult.

Known Limitations:
    • Must be able to fire a projectile (ping pong ball) anywhere within 5’ to 15’ operating range.
    • Must fit within a 1’x 1’x1’ footprint (in “collapsed form”).
    • Cannot utilize high-pressure gases or combustible materials.
    • Must be constructed primarily out of materials that are found, not bought.
    • Must be sketched and approved by your instructor prior to building.
    • Must be adjustable for angle (10-80 degrees).
    • Must be adjustable for force.

2. Relevant equations

I know there are many equations that can be helpful, but the class I am in is INTRO to Engineering and Design. So our class is not exactly filled with advanced students, we are just short of moderate, but its still cool.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have just started to research catapults and other various ballistics devices but I pretty sure the design that will produce the best possible outcome would be a catapult that is considered a "striker"; meaning that the ping pong ball will travel by something hitting it.

Any kind of help such as ideas, links, pics, plans, etc would be greatly appreciated.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?