How Should the Child's Acceleration Be Calculated to Catch the Thrown Ball?

In summary, if the child wants to catch the ball at the same height as it was thrown, they must have an acceleration of
Maximusw47

Homework Statement

Starting from rest, a child throws a ball of mass m with an initial speed v , at an angle B with the horizontal direction. The child then chases after the ball, accelerating at a constant acceleration a . If the child wants to catch the ball at the same height as it was thrown, what must be the child's acceleration a ? Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables v , m , B and g for the gravitational constant. Express the trigonometric functions in terms of the basic sin(B), cos(B) or tan(B).

Homework Equations

1-D Kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using the point of release as the origin, positive-y is up and positive-x is the direction of the throw. I'm interested in the situation where at time t_f, x_child(t) = x_ball(t) and y_ball(t)=0. I start with the vertical.
t_f is the moment of the catch
v_yi is the initial vertical component of the ball's velocity; v_xi is the initial horizontal component of the ball's velocity

y(t)=v_yi*t-1/2*g*t^2
t_f=2*v_yi/g

For the horizontal component:
x_ball = v_xi*t
x_child = 1/2*a*t^2
At t_f:
v_xi*t_f=1/2*a*t_f^2
Substituting gives:
a=g*v_xi/v_yi

With vector decomposition I get an answer of:
a = g*v*cos(B)/sin(B)What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work is very nicely written out :smile: .

Should the factor of v be in your final answer? Doesn't v cancel out?

Likes Maximusw47
TSny said:
Your work is very nicely written out :smile: .

Should the factor of v be in your final answer? Doesn't v cancel out?
Thanks, that does indeed solve it. Perhaps one day I'll learn to do basic algebra.

What is the key to catching a thrown ball?

The key to catching a thrown ball is hand-eye coordination. You must be able to track the ball with your eyes and use your hands to catch it at the right moment.

What is the proper technique for catching a thrown ball?

The proper technique for catching a thrown ball is to keep your eyes on the ball, extend your arms out in front of you, and bring your hands together to form a basket. As the ball approaches, use your hands to absorb the impact and secure the ball.

What are common mistakes people make when trying to catch a thrown ball?

One common mistake is taking your eyes off the ball too soon. This can lead to misjudging the trajectory and missing the catch. Another mistake is not using your hands to catch the ball, instead relying on your body or chest to make the catch.

How can I improve my catching skills?

You can improve your catching skills by practicing regularly, starting with slow and easy throws and gradually increasing the speed and difficulty. You can also work on your hand-eye coordination through drills and exercises.

What is the importance of footwork when catching a thrown ball?

Footwork is important when catching a thrown ball because it helps you to get in position and maintain balance. You should always move your feet to get under the ball and avoid reaching or lunging for it. Proper footwork can also help you make a more accurate catch.