1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Catching a thrown ball

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Starting from rest, a child throws a ball of mass m with an initial speed v , at an angle B with the horizontal direction. The child then chases after the ball, accelerating at a constant acceleration a . If the child wants to catch the ball at the same height as it was thrown, what must be the child's acceleration a ? Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables v , m , B and g for the gravitational constant. Express the trigonometric functions in terms of the basic sin(B), cos(B) or tan(B).

2. Relevant equations
    1-D Kinematics

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm using the point of release as the origin, positive-y is up and positive-x is the direction of the throw. I'm interested in the situation where at time t_f, x_child(t) = x_ball(t) and y_ball(t)=0. I start with the vertical.
    t_f is the moment of the catch
    v_yi is the initial vertical component of the ball's velocity; v_xi is the initial horizontal component of the ball's velocity

y(t)=v_yi*t-1/2*g*t^2
    t_f=2*v_yi/g

For the horizontal component:
    x_ball = v_xi*t
    x_child = 1/2*a*t^2
    At t_f:
    v_xi*t_f=1/2*a*t_f^2
    Substituting gives:
    a=g*v_xi/v_yi

With vector decomposition I get an answer of:
    a = g*v*cos(B)/sin(B)

What am I doing wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your work is very nicely written out :smile: .

Should the factor of v be in your final answer? Doesn't v cancel out?

4. Jul 19, 2015 #3

Thanks, that does indeed solve it. Perhaps one day I'll learn to do basic algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted