Exploring Egg Physics: The Science Behind Why an Egg Doesn't Break When Caught

• Thread starter kmax12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary, when a third student throws an egg into a sheet held by two other students, the egg's shell does not break due to the longer duration of the collision with the sheet, resulting in a smaller average force compared to hitting a hard surface. This is due to the egg's slow deceleration on the sheet, as opposed to the sudden stop on a hard surface.
kmax12
Two students hold an open bed sheet loosely by its corners to form a "catching net." The instructor asks a third student to throw an egg into the middle of the sheet as hard as possible. Why doesn't the egg's shell break?

does this have to do with momentum? inertia? Newtons laws?

so far my answer is: The eggs shell does not break because the egg slowly decelerates. what else can i add

Physics news on Phys.org
right, what exactly makes the egg slowly decelerate?
you know what happens when the egg hits the floor or a hard surface, how can you describe the surface of the sheet? and what it does as the egg hits it.

you can describe it through the average force of the collision. When the egg hits a hard surface the collision is short (less than .1s I think). But when it hits the sheet how long does it take for the collision to stop? a rough estimate should be enough to help describe why the egg shell doesn't break.

how does this sound: The eggs shell does not break because of the rate of decelerates. When an egg hits a floor the egg comes to stop in a extremely short period of time. This creates a high average force on the egg. When a egg it the sheet it is taking a long time to come to rest and the average force applied to the shell is smaller.

1. How do you catch an egg without breaking it?

To catch an egg without breaking it, you need to have quick reflexes and a gentle touch. Make sure your hands are clean and dry, and use both hands to catch the egg. Try to catch it in the middle of your hands, rather than with your fingertips, to distribute the impact evenly.

2. What is the best technique for catching an egg?

The best technique for catching an egg is to make a cup with your hands and catch it in the center of your palm. This helps to distribute the impact and decreases the chances of the egg breaking. Also, try to catch the egg as close to your body as possible to minimize any movement or jarring.

3. Why is it important to catch an egg gently?

Eggs have a delicate shell that can easily crack or break with too much force. Catching an egg gently helps to distribute the impact and decreases the chances of it breaking. It also helps to keep the egg intact and avoid any mess.

4. Can you catch a raw egg without breaking it?

Yes, it is possible to catch a raw egg without breaking it. Using the right technique, quick reflexes, and a gentle touch can increase your chances of successfully catching a raw egg without breaking it. However, it is still a delicate task and may take some practice to master.

5. What should I do if I accidentally drop an egg?

If you accidentally drop an egg, it is best to clean up the mess immediately. Use a cloth or paper towel to wipe up any eggshell or yolk. If the egg is still intact, you can try to salvage it by cracking it open and using it in a recipe. However, if the egg is cracked or broken, it is best to discard it to avoid any risk of contamination.