1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Catching bank robbers

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    Greetings Fellow Physics adorers,

I was wondering if someone could please help me with the problem attached (I took a picture of it because it contains a complex graphic).

I would just like someone to please look at it and see if I am on the right track to solving it. I attached a picture of my work.

Any and all helps, tips, comments, suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2
    ATTN: I think I caught my error.
    Should I be using -45, 154, and -72 degrees instead of the ones I used above?

With those new angles, I got my x to be -16.97 and y to be -24.17 and my resultant vector to be 29.53 and my city to be WALPOLE

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    Why don't you simply add all the three vectors directly? There's not really a need for any such calculations.

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4
    Looking at it quickly, it looks like it could be Dedham.

EDIT: At a closer look, Walpole seems correct.

6. Sep 14, 2012 #5
    Greetings Ripe,

Thank you very much for your rapid response.

1. Our instructor likes to see all of that worked out like that.

2. Thanks for your comment about the city. I am glad you also think it is Walpole. (makes me feel better inside since I don't have the answer in the back of the book to check :smile: )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook