Catching cold when wet in rain

• Thread starter bluecap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold Rain
In summary: This is a well-respected source that agrees with the common belief that colder temperatures lead to an increased chance of catching a cold.
bluecap
Whenever I got wet in the rain. I always get cold (running nose, etc.) I know I'm not catching the virus in the rain. Is the explanation because one's body thermo regulation (hypothalamus) gets affected which lowers the immune system that makes the existing virus in the body multiply? Right now I don't have any colds or health issues. I'm just asking the explanations why one can easily catch a cold when wet in the rain. It's raining now I'm outside and I'm afraid to get wet. Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
A running nose doesn't have to be related to the virus disease. It can simply be a body reaction to the temperature.

A running nose can also be caused by a virus disease, that is a completely unrelated cause. Just the result is similar.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3650992/
This may be too hard to understand. Non-scientific version: Non-allergic sniffles are the most common sniffles (non-allergic rhinitis, abbreviated NAR). And the cause is not fully understood. Exposure to cold air is one trigger of many. Some kinds of dust or other irritants (like finely ground black pepper) may also be a trigger.

In general, NAR can confuse the provider or the patient into thinking there is a more serious problem going on. Most NAR resolves by itself when environmental conditions change back to "normal". Whatever that may be.

If you think your NAR symptoms are a sign of a serious condition, or NAR does not clear up when you come in out the cold, consult a physician. We do not and cannot provide medical diagnoses.

Likes BillTre
bluecap said:
why one can easily catch a cold when wet in the rain.
That's supposed to be a myth, at least for the general population, otherwise everyone who gets a chill would become ill, and that does definitely not happen.
I suppose the bigger question is why do some people develop the flu or a cold during the season when the diseases are going around and not others.

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/2008/CommonCold.htm
Although written by students, it does summarize, I believe, the standard opinion on the subject.

Likes mfb
256bits said:
That's supposed to be a myth, at least for the general population, otherwise everyone who gets a chill would become ill, and that does definitely not happen.
I suppose the bigger question is why do some people develop the flu or a cold during the season when the diseases are going around and not others.

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/2008/CommonCold.htm
Although written by students, it does summarize, I believe, the standard opinion on the subject.

If one jumps to a pool of ice cold water.. won't it lower the immune system?

bluecap said:
If one jumps to a pool of ice cold water.. won't it lower the immune system?
Why exactly do you expect this?

The common cold virus can reproduce itself more efficiently in the cooler temperature found inside the nose than at core body temperature, according to a new Yale-led study. This finding may confirm the popular, yet contested, notion that people are more likely to catch a cold in cool-weather conditions.
“We found that the innate immune response to the rhinovirus is impaired at the lower body temperature compared to the core body temperature,” said Iwasaki, who is also an investigator of Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
https://news.yale.edu/2015/01/05/cold-virus-replicates-better-cooler-temperatures

See also: http://www.pnas.org/content/112/3/827

Indeed, the theory that colder body temperature lead to higher chance of disease is still extremely popular. I have yet see any concrete evidence, but I get expressions of shock every time I question its validity.

1. Can you really catch a cold from getting wet in the rain?

Contrary to popular belief, catching a cold when getting wet in the rain is actually a myth. Colds are caused by viruses, not by being exposed to cold or wet weather. In fact, studies have shown that being cold or wet does not increase your chances of catching a cold.

2. Why do people believe that getting wet in the rain can cause a cold?

This belief likely stems from the fact that people tend to get sick more often during the colder months when it's more common to be outside in wet weather. However, this is likely due to being in closer contact with others and being indoors more often, not from getting wet in the rain.

3. Is there any truth to the idea that going outside with wet hair can lead to a cold?

Similar to getting wet in the rain, going outside with wet hair does not increase your chances of catching a cold. As mentioned before, colds are caused by viruses and not by being exposed to cold weather. However, it's always a good idea to dry your hair before going outside in colder weather to avoid discomfort.

4. Can being wet and cold make an existing cold worse?

Being wet and cold can make existing cold symptoms feel worse, but it does not actually make the cold itself worse. The cold virus is already present in your body and being wet and cold may weaken your immune system, making it harder for your body to fight off the virus.

5. How can I protect myself from getting sick in the rain?

The best way to protect yourself from getting sick in the rain is to dress appropriately for the weather and to maintain good hygiene practices. This includes wearing waterproof clothing and shoes, using an umbrella, and washing your hands regularly to prevent the spread of germs. It's also important to try to avoid close contact with others who may be sick.