Catching Up in College: A Math and Science Student's Dilemma

• Schools
  • Thread starter Jimmy Dickey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation reveals the speaker's interest in pursuing a career in math and science despite having poor grades in the subject throughout high school. The speaker is worried about catching up on courses like calculus and physics in college, but is reassured that it is possible with proper preparation. They also have a question about honors courses in college.
Jimmy Dickey
Alrighty here it goes. I have been very interested in pursuing a career in math for as long as I can remember knowing what it was, whether I WANT to be an engineer or a physicist or not is not really much of a concern for me what is a concern though is how I performed academically in my younger years.

I got very very poor grades all the way up to my senior year in high school which is when I turned things around, I will be graduating in just over a month finishing out my last year with, if all things stay constant, a 4.0. The problem is due to my lack of effort I seem to have fallen quite significantly behind in math courses finishing Algebra II this year. The actual work is and never has been a problem and I feel I am beyond proficient in math and feel I should've been taking this class as a freshman(maybe a little bit over exaggerated but the class is very easy). I was, even through my abysmal grades, selected as a "gifted" student in both math and reading and I also have a question about that though it may be better suited for my counselor. Ill ask that at the end.

Anyways rambling aside I am very interested in pursuing high levels of math and science in my college years but I am worried that I am already so far behind, having not taken any calculus or physics. Am I going to be okay catching up on these courses in college or am looking at going into medicine :D

As for the other question, I received a paper basically stating what subjects I was recognized as gifted in and had to get a parent signature blah blah blah. The thing is, the paper said I would be signed up for honors classes. I just received this my last year of high school and am not quite sure how I would then take honors courses, does this roll over into college? I don't even know how college classes work ahhhhhhhhhh

Physics news on Phys.org
Plenty of physics majors never took physics or calculus before entering college. If you just finished algebra II, you might need a semester to take pre-calculus before starting physics courses (the first one of which is generally taken at the same time as first-semester calculus), but as long as you have adequately addressed the issues that caused you to do poorly in the first place, you'll be fine.

Likes Jimmy Dickey
Dishsoap said:
Plenty of physics majors never took physics or calculus before entering college. If you just finished algebra II, you might need a semester to take pre-calculus before starting physics courses (the first one of which is generally taken at the same time as first-semester calculus), but as long as you have adequately addressed the issues that caused you to do poorly in the first place, you'll be fine.
Awesome thank you very much!

Also, honors courses in high school don't "roll over". Depending on the university, there might be "honors" courses, and you might be able to apply for the honors program depending on high school GPA and such.

1. What is the "catching up in college" dilemma for math and science students?

The "catching up in college" dilemma refers to the struggle that many math and science students face when they enter college with gaps in their knowledge or skills. This can be due to a variety of reasons, such as coming from a school with a weaker math and science curriculum or not having taken certain prerequisite courses.

2. How can students effectively catch up in college as a math and science major?

One effective way for math and science students to catch up in college is to seek out additional resources and support. This can include attending tutoring sessions, forming study groups, and utilizing online resources. It is also important for students to communicate with their professors and seek help when needed.

3. Is it possible for math and science students to catch up in college without falling behind in their courses?

It is possible for math and science students to catch up in college without falling behind, but it requires diligent effort and time management. Students may need to dedicate extra time to studying and seeking help outside of class, but it is important to maintain a balance and not neglect their current courses.

4. Are there any specific strategies that can help math and science students catch up in college?

Some strategies that can help math and science students catch up in college include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, manageable parts, practicing regularly, and seeking out real-life applications of the material. It can also be beneficial for students to review previously learned material before moving on to new topics.

5. How can math and science students prevent the "catching up in college" dilemma?

To prevent the catching up in college dilemma, math and science students should strive to build a strong foundation in these subjects during high school. This can include taking rigorous courses, seeking out challenging opportunities, and actively seeking help when needed. It is also important for students to stay organized and manage their time effectively to avoid falling behind in their coursework.