1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Catching up

1. Jul 21, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone,

I've never used PF before, so I'm not exactly sure I'm posting in the right place. Anyway, here's what's going on : I'm currently preparing a Master's in neurobiology. I stopped studying sciences (i.e., physics, chemistry, maths) in high school, but somehow managed to catch up in biology and statistics enough to get accepted in neurobio.
    Basically, I'm asking for advice about books, articles, subjects, anything to study to catch in those subjects. I'd really like to read more about cosmology, for example, but I need this basic scientific background to do so.
    I hope some of you will be able to help me. Thanks for your attention !

M

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why? For your degree? Or for fun? I doubt cosmology is needed for neurobiology.

And what is the last math course you took? Physics course? Chemistry course?

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You must already have an undergraduate degree if you are preparing for a Master's degree program in Neurobiology. You had to have studied some necessary qualifying sciences already.

5. Jul 21, 2016 #4
    I don't need it for my degree, it's just general knowledge I'd like to have. I did mostly arts in high-school, and psychology (we all make poor choices sometimes) and neurosciences for my undergrad, so I'm proficient in biology but not in physics or maths, for example.
    The last courses I took were really basics during my first year of high school, that's why I'd like to catch up from there.

6. Jul 21, 2016 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If you don't actually need it -which sounds like the case - then you aren't trying to "catch up" on anything.

If you want to prepare for your masters then you probably need to review things from your undergraduate, like biology and psychology.

7. Jul 21, 2016 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Does Neurobiology not depend on study of Chemistry, some fundamental electricity, some discrete Mathematics, and include some other supporting sciences and technology?

8. Jul 21, 2016 #7

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to my knowledge of the field. In fact, my exposure has been it's more akin to psychology with MRI's, mileage may vary.

9. Jul 22, 2016 #8
    Alright, looks like I absolutely did not make myself clear. My degree is not relevant here. I'm asking whether anyone would have some recomendations (books, articles, etc) about where to start learning subjects such as physics or maths, when you don't have a solid scientific background. I'd just like to understand these subjects a bit better, for my own personal knnowledge ; that's it.

10. Jul 22, 2016 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We'll really need to know the extent of your knowledge for that. What you've said until now is incredibly vague.

11. Jul 22, 2016 #10

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If the end goal is personal knowledge you should have named the thread better and not provided so much ancillary detail.

Your last exposure was high school, so naturally to learn physics in a sort of proper manner you'd want to start with introductory mechanics. A book like H&K physics volume one would be good for this, then you can progress to E&M volume 2 after.

Before that, however, you need to understand some basic calculus and algebra. If you're rusty here, pick up a book like REA Algebra & Trig, then proceed to something like Anton calculus. Micromass can probably help you out more here though, and I think if you search his insight posts he has a few on the self studying of mathematics.

12. Jul 22, 2016 #11
    Thank Student100, that was the kind of directory I was looking for! I'm sorry for the jumble, I still need to get familiar with this website.

13. Jul 22, 2016 #12

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The best way is gain admission to college and soon as practical, to university and study for an undergraduate degree (at least) in some scientific subject that you believe would be most beneficial to you goals. Maybe pick major field Biology, Biochemistry, and be absolutely sure to include some courses on Microbiology, Molecular Biology, any technology courses which you believe (maybe from formal advisement) might be beneficial. Why this suggestion: You will want to read, do exercises, and handle laboratory activity. Just reading books on its own is not going to give you what you want.

14. Jul 23, 2016 #13

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like he already has an undergrad and is about to start a master's. It seems he also just wants guidance on self studying these topics for personal enrichment, not as any requirement or for any use in his masters.

15. Jul 25, 2016 #14
    That's it. I'm just trying to study those subjects on my own and was looking for advice to do so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted