Catching up

  • Thread starter jdenn
  • Start date
  • #1
6
0
Hi, ive got a big probllem:

When you are 20m away from your bus it begins accelerating a 3m/s/s (from rest). What constant velocity should you run at to catch the bus.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please!!!!!!!!!!
jason
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
402
0
theres i big chance no one will help you unless you show an attempt
 
  • #3
Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,549
8
Yep, you have to show that you've made an attempt.
 
  • #4
6
0
Tom Mattson said:
Yep, you have to show that you've made an attempt.
thats the think I have no idea where to begin

The fruit of my labors is:
me:
Vi=?
Vf=?
t=?
a=0
d=to bus


bus:
Vi=0
Vf=?
t=?
a=3m/s^2
d=to bus
This enough? because otherwise i am sol
 
Last edited:
  • #5
86
0
Try drawing two pictures; the first showing the initial conditions, and the second showing the final conditions when you've caught the bus.

Once you've drawn the pictures, make sure you listed all your knowns.

List your kinematics formulas so you can see what you have to work with.

And don't forget to note your initial and final position.

Try choosing your initial position as zero, which would make the initial position of the bus 20 m.
 
  • #6
6
0


*melinda* said:
Try drawing two pictures; the first showing the initial conditions, and the second showing the final conditions when you've caught the bus.
Once you've drawn the pictures, make sure you listed all your knowns.
List your kinematics formulas so you can see what you have to work with.
And don't forget to note your initial and final position.
Try choosing your initial position as zero, which would make the initial position of the bus 20 m.
i have drawn a picture, listed my formulas( no idea which 1 to use though)
 
  • #7
Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,549
8
You have yet to make use of that 20m in the problem statement. Let the motion be along the x-axis.

Can you fill in the following information?

Runner: xi=?
Bus: xi=?
 
  • #8
6
0
Tom Mattson said:
You have yet to make use of that 20m in the problem statement. Let the motion be along the x-axis.
Can you fill in the following information?
Runner: xi=?
Bus: xi=?
ive been working more but all i have still is:thats the think I have no idea where to begin

me:
Vi=?
Vf=Vi (constant)
t=?
a=0
d=to bus-20


bus:
Vi=0
Vf=?
t=?
a=3m/s^2
d=to me+20
 
  • #9
Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,549
8
In order to answer my question, you need to choose an origin for the coordinate system. Let's just put the runner's initial position at the origin, and let the bus sit to the right of the runner.

Now can you fill in those values?
 
  • #10
6
0
me:
Vi=?
Vf=Vi (constant)
t=?
a=0
d=distance run


bus:
Vi=0
Vf=?
t=?
a=3m/s^2
d=to run-20
 
  • #11
Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,549
8
What I am asking you to do is assign an x-coordinate to both the runner and the bus initially. Do you know what a coordinate on a graph is?
 
  • #12
6
0
x would be distance and y would be time right?
 
  • #13
Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,549
8
In the usual notation, x is distance and t is time. So if you have motion in 1 dimension, and we say that the motion is along the x-axis, and we say that the runner starts at the origin and that the bus starts out 20 meters to the right of the runner, then can you please tell me what the initial x-coordinate of both the runner and the bus are?

We're happy to help with homework, but you have to work with us.
 

Related Threads on Catching up

  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
W
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
29K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
1K
Replies
3
Views
8K
Replies
1
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
9K
  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
9K
Top