Categories Without Sets?

• Thread starter Reedeegi
  • Start date
Reedeegi
Does anyone know of a book on Category Theory that purposely attempts to teach category theory without explicitly basing it upon set theory?

Answers and Replies

xristy
Gold Member
See http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~hsimmons/BOOKS/CatTheory.pdf" [Broken]. Also the appendix on Foundations in MacLane's Categories for the Working Mathematician is a direct presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reedeegi
Ah, yes, I see that MacLane's book does indeed include such a section; thank you!

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is the intent of your question? Maybe there are other interesting things out there you would find interesting -- topos theory comes to mind.

I know that someone (don't remember who) wrote a paper on directly axiomatizing the (super-large) 2-category of large categories, without reference to a formal set theory. Of course, his axioms provide for the construction of a large category Set, but I don't remember how that turns out to look. Maybe you'd find that interesting if you can find it?

Reedeegi
Yes, I've been able to track down and purchase books on topos theory; including Mac Lane's Sheaves in Geometry and Logic and Goldblatt's Topoi; also, that article you referenced may be Colin McLarty's one on axiomatizing the category of categories; does this ring a bell?

Suggested for: Categories Without Sets?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views