1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Category theory

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1
    One question for now:
    1. If C is a full subcategory of D and D is a full subcategory of C, what can be said, if anything, about C and D being either equal or equivalent in some way?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They'd have to be equal.

Every object of C is an object of D, and vice cersa. Full subcategories are determined by their objects.

4. Feb 6, 2005 #3
    2. Could you explain slice categories?

I have a quote that I don't get:
    In the "above diagram," f:B-->A, g:C-->A, and h:B-->C s.t. gh=f.

Thanks in advance...

5. Feb 6, 2005 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you worked much with fiber bundles? I think they're a good model to understand what's going on.

You can imagine the objects of the slice category are the projections from objects of the original category to the base object.

For a given projection, each "point" X of the base object corresponds to a "fiber", those "points" of the source object that project onto X. (Thus, we have a B-indexed family of fibers)

The morphisms of the slice category, then, are the morphisms that act "fiber-wise". That is, if P is in a fiber of X, then f(P) is also in a fiber of X.

Of course, in general you won't have points and fibers to manipulate, but I think this is the spirit behind it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook