1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Catenary problem

1. Jul 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose we have a rope of length L and total mass M. Suppose we x its ends at points
    (xA; yA) and (xB; yB). We want to determine the shape the rope makes, hanging under the
    influence of gravity. The rope is motionless, with a shape parametrised by y(x) or equivalently,
    x(y), where x denotes the horizontal coordinate and y the vertical one. We are looking for the
    shape which minimises the potential energy of the rope.

Image below

gU615OS.png

2. Relevant equations

I'm guessing

ds = sqrt ( dx^2 + dy^2) can be used.

3. The attempt at a solution

Integrate ds over s, and thus it is...

integral ds = S [ from Yb to Ya]

Xb and Xa would be zero as the horizontal length does not change.

As you can see...I'm a bit confused. I don't know how to parametise dx and dy, or can I just use a polar coordinate system?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This just gives you the length of the rope, which you know and should impose as a constraint. You need to find an integral that describes the potential energy and minimize it under that constraint.

4. Jul 31, 2017 #3
    The integral for the potential energy was given as eq(1) of the problem statement. All that is necessary is to minimize that. This is a well known problem, written up in countless places in the literature.

Your guess,

was already incorporated in writing eq(1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted