Build a CRT: DIY Instructions & Guide

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of building a cathode ray tube (CRT) for a physics project. The individual had done some research but was unable to find a complete set of instructions for building a CRT. The conversation also touched on the safety concerns of building a CRT at home and the potential hazards involved. One person suggested acquiring a vacuum pump and using a glass enclosure to build the CRT, while another suggested buying a pre-made CRT or using one from a lab. The original individual assured that they had enough knowledge and experience to safely build a CRT and were only looking for guidance on materials and instructions. The conversation ended with a discussion on the potential risks and the individual's confidence in their abilities to build the CRT for fun
Amsingh123
I've been looking to do a physics project, and since particle accelerators are too dangerous, I was thinking about building a cathode ray tube (CRT) I've done some research about building CRTs, and haven't been able to find anything that gives a complete list of how to build a CRT. Could anyone tell me how to build one?

Physics news on Phys.org
but why would you want to build one , the most widespread application of cathode rays was exactly what you just mentioned a CRT tube for tv.
back in times they had these huge vacuum tubes like Crookes tube which served as scientific research apparatus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_tube

I guess you want this just for fun so to speak , i doubt you can build this at home due to the vacuum thing and glass.

building one isn't that complicated , the hard part is that you need vacuum and a glass enclosure

Couldn't you acquire a vacuum pump?

And I'm just doing it for fun.

ok get a vacuum pump , that wouldn't even be the hardest part.people have made vacuum pumps out of some old refrigerator pumps etc.

But I can't imagine how could you make the glass enclosure at home.
and if your doing it for fun then remember that glass is a must.

also did you read about the link I gave you ?

such cathode tubes given sufficient voltage will make x rays , remember x rays are basically electrons at a certain amplitude of frequency ,get that frequency to the electrons in the tube and you have x rays.In more simple terms supply enough power and you get them.
And that wouldn't be fun anymore would it ? :d

I plan on making it a pretty crude CRT, so the glass enclosure shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Why not just buy one? You need to buy a power supply and a vacuum pump anyway.

You sound like a hazard to yourself, I'm expecting this thread to be closed as well. PF has pretty strict rules when it comes to people (usually people that have no idea what they're doing) playing with potentially dangerous equipment (this includes ones that can produce x-rays, such as a crookes tube) at home.

And I plan on only keeping the voltage at 2-5 kv and x rays are only produced at about 15 kv

And thanks for your concern but I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. I've taken enough physics courses to understand potential risks, and I know how to avoid them. I was only looking for a solid set of instructions and materials to guide me.

I'm not making them for any practical purpose, just for fun.

well ofcourse i can't read your mind but it kinda sounds your not fully sure what you are doing,
maybe just get a crookes tube or somthing similar from some lab for the project time and purposes?
if you are at some school I'm sure they have some equipment.

Amsingh123 said:
Could anyone tell me how to build one?

Amsingh123 said:
And thanks for your concern but I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. I've taken enough physics courses to understand potential risks, and I know how to avoid them.

The second statement and the first statement cannot both be simultaneously true.

As you were told in your other thread, we do not discuss dangerous projects here.

1. What tools and materials do I need to build a CRT?

To build a CRT, you will need basic tools such as a screwdriver, pliers, wire cutters, and a soldering iron. You will also need specific materials such as a cathode ray tube, circuit boards, capacitors, resistors, and other electronic components. The exact tools and materials needed will depend on the specific instructions and guide you are following.

2. Is it difficult to build a CRT?

Building a CRT can be a challenging and time-consuming process, especially for those who are not experienced with electronics. It requires knowledge of circuitry and soldering skills. However, with the right instructions and guide, it is possible for anyone to build a CRT. It may take some patience and practice, but it can be a rewarding experience.

3. Can I use a DIY CRT for regular television viewing?

No, a DIY CRT is not suitable for regular television viewing. It is primarily meant for educational or experimental purposes. The picture quality and performance will not be the same as a commercially manufactured CRT television. It is important to always exercise caution and follow safety precautions when working with electronic components.

4. Are there any safety concerns when building a CRT?

Yes, there are safety concerns when building a CRT. The high voltage and electrical current involved can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to work in a well-ventilated area, wear protective gear, and follow all instructions carefully. If you are not experienced with electronics, it is recommended to seek assistance from someone who is.

5. Can I modify or customize my DIY CRT?

Yes, you can modify or customize your DIY CRT to some extent. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the circuitry and components before making any changes. Any modifications should be done carefully and with caution to avoid damaging the CRT or causing safety hazards.