1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cathode Ray Tubes

1. May 1, 2005 #1
    After only recently learning about Cathode ray tubes at school i was taught that the striations caused in the tubes were the result of ionisation on the particles within the tube. Though this seems most correct i have also read in text books and been told by others a couple of other reasons for striations. Such as variations in pressure(in a textbook i read but i dont think its very likely) and electrons travelling through the tubes(basically ionising but the explination was a little different). If someone would happen to know the correct reason your help would be much appreciated.

Also, to do with cathode ray tubes in, particlular the rotating wheel in a tube prac, we were taught that this experiment proves the property that cathode rays carry energy AND momentum. I understand they carry energy but i am not so convinced THEY themselves carry momentum. If anyone could please clarrify.

Cheers!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted