1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cation and Anion Help pLease

1. Mar 15, 2006 #1
    I need like a lot of help with the Formulas contain anion and Cations. I was doing some homework with them and I do not understand. For example: (NH4)^3N | GIVE ANION AND CATION:

problems like that, i dont understand really how to balacnce the formula and write out a formula. Can some one please tell me like an easy and good way to figure these types of problems oUt?:grumpy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Cation is the positive (+) ion, anion is the negative (-) ion.

Usually metals are + and complex ions and non-metals are -.

The further left on the periodic table the tendency is for the atom to oxidize or become positive (they are more electropositive). The further right, i.e. toward the halogens, the tendency is to be negative (electronegative). The noble gases are basically inert, except under certain conditions, some like Xe and Kr can form fluorides and perhaps chlorides.

Try these sites - http://www.cas.astate.edu/draganjac/cationanion.html

Or one can Google "cations" or "anions"

BTW - this post belongs in the Other Sciences Homework section.

Also, check our thread on Chemistry Websites - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=38669
  4. Mar 15, 2006 #3
    hey thanks alot for your help, do you also have an easy way on how do solve them thoigh?
  5. Mar 15, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

It's pretty much learn by doing.

Metals tend to be cations, and halogens and non-metals tend to be anions.

Then there are complex ions, like phosphate PO43- or sulfate SO42-, which you just have to learn. Once you become familiar with them, they become second nature.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?