Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cat's ear pockets

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1

Danger

Gold Member

Cat's ear "pockets"

This is of no particular importance, but it's been bugging me for several years. I'm hoping that a biologist (or possibly an audiologist) can be of assistance.
    Do the little split-edged 'pockets' on the lower outer portion of a cat's ears offer an acoustic advantage, or are they just a benign leftover of evolution?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2
    Re: Cat's ear "pockets"

They're probably the same as our earlobes: useless.

4. Dec 17, 2008 #3

I always wondered that too. Like Denton, I assumed they were the cat equivalent of human earlobes. That's just my assumption, though... I'm certainly neither a biologist or audiologist.

5. Dec 17, 2008 #4

I believe its to help them capture sounds, when they need to pull their ears back. I think it gives them a bit more flexibility.

6. Dec 17, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Hypatia, I believe that you're on to something there. I just played with Lucy's ears a bit to check, and those flaps 'accordion' into themselves when the ears flatten. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?