1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cat's ear pockets

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1

Danger

Gold Member

Cat's ear "pockets"

This is of no particular importance, but it's been bugging me for several years. I'm hoping that a biologist (or possibly an audiologist) can be of assistance.
    Do the little split-edged 'pockets' on the lower outer portion of a cat's ears offer an acoustic advantage, or are they just a benign leftover of evolution?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2
    Re: Cat's ear "pockets"

They're probably the same as our earlobes: useless.

4. Dec 17, 2008 #3

I always wondered that too. Like Denton, I assumed they were the cat equivalent of human earlobes. That's just my assumption, though... I'm certainly neither a biologist or audiologist.

5. Dec 17, 2008 #4

I believe its to help them capture sounds, when they need to pull their ears back. I think it gives them a bit more flexibility.

6. Dec 17, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Hypatia, I believe that you're on to something there. I just played with Lucy's ears a bit to check, and those flaps 'accordion' into themselves when the ears flatten. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?