Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cats versus dogs

1. Cats

30.6%
  2. Dogs

32.3%
  3. Both

33.9%
  4. Neither

3.2%
  1. Aug 20, 2014 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The age-old debate: cats or dogs. But which one does the PF community prefer?

Let the fight begin :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2014 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Dogs have a far more playful personality, can learn tricks, are genuinely excited to see you and feel like part of the family. Conversely my experience with cats has been that whilst they might like you you are merely an interesting creature that feeds them. Any playing, purring or otherwise social interaction seems entirely for their benefit. I've never heard of a cat coming to it's owners rescue then they are in trouble, or sensing when they are sad, or bringing slippers. Far more likely to wander off, scratch the walls and bring you a dead animal.

Also you can walk a dog, play fetch and have a game of frisby. Both of you will have fun and exercise doing this. If you try to walk a cat you look like you've lost several marbles and the only games you can play with a cat involve holding something for it to scratch or shining a laser. Fun for a little bit but gets old.

Also also dogs are a man's best fiend, we literally bred them over tens of thousands of years to be well suited to us.

Also also also a cat recently did this to me. Cats suck :frown:

4. Aug 20, 2014 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I chose "both", but my affections towards each species are different.

I adore cats. I can watch a cat sleep and feel like I'm not wasting my time :biggrin:.

But dogs amuse me - they're such dopey goofballs.

5. Aug 20, 2014 #4
    I love both, but I only have a cat at the moment.

6. Aug 20, 2014 #5

Astronuc

I've grown up with both, but we usually have 2 or 3 cats and one dog.

My brother has 3 cats and 5-6 dogs, and 2 llamas and about a dozen or so sheep, several chickens and some geese.

I would love to have a couple of greyhounds with whom I could go running.

7. Aug 20, 2014 #6

jtbell

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Aug 20, 2014 #7
    Love this video. The cat just goes completely bonkers on that dog!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Aug 20, 2014 #8
    Cats are self-cleaning, self exercising, and make very, very much less noise than dogs. Most cats are smaller than most dogs, therefore cheaper to feed. In my experience male cats are better because they are more independent, less needy and quieter (however they're more likely to commandeer your favorite chair). Dogs are very loud, raucous, smelly, usually large, and you have to walk them and pick up their poo.

10. Aug 20, 2014 #9
    Quite so.

11. Aug 20, 2014 #10

jtbell

I was attacked by a dog while walking home from work last spring, and had to go to the hospital emergency room. Fortunately it was a superficial wound that didn't require any stitches, although there was a fair amount of blood.

12. Aug 20, 2014 #11
    That's not really true. Maybe it depends :wink:. Cats in my neighborhood freely walk around on the house roofs at night; they're silent creatures, they don't make noise while walking but 2-4 times a week I have to wake up at midnight to scare them all away. They like mating and every time before they make love, they mew like crazy, and are very noisy. The first time I heard one mew, I was thinking some baby was crying hard in the middle of the night on the roof.

13. Aug 20, 2014 #12

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or not even that. A colleague at work had a couple of cats which lived out of the house 365 nights a year (they had somewhere to shelter from bad weather, if they wanted to). When he went on vacation, the cats lived outside all day as well, and a neighbour had to job of feeding them.

Except one of the two used to disappear on the first day of vacation, and show up again when its "owner" returned. This happened for several years, and nobody ever discovered where it went for a couple of weeks each year.

One year, the cat didn't turn up. After a few weeks, they decided it was either dead or had left permanently, so they got a replacement.

After the next year's vacation, they had three cats. The missing one had taken a year's sabbatical (sabcatical?) somewhere unknown, and just turned up again and carried on with its old way of life as if nothing had happened.

Personally I don't find pet dogs very interesting. They need far too much time and attention.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  14. Aug 20, 2014 #13
    I know, but if you measure the decibels, those cats mating are not as loud as any barking dog the same distance away.

15. Aug 20, 2014 #14
    Agree! and I think mouth guards should be used for all dogs.

16. Aug 20, 2014 #15
    I had a cat show up once whining for food. It was very skinny, but obviously people-friendly, so I fed it, and the next thing, it wanted to come inside. It stayed about six months. Then it disappeared for three whole days. Then it came back for three days. Then it disappeared for good. I think it had found a better crash pad and had just come back those last three days to say goodbye. Outdoor cats don't seem to be loyal to an owner. They shop and select the best all around deal they can find.

17. Aug 20, 2014 #16
    Probably because cat penises are basically torture devices.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  18. Aug 20, 2014 #17

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I never really understood why people feel the need to compare the two, as cats and dogs are very different animals. I like both cats and dogs but for very different reasons. Cats are more independent than dogs but their behaviour can often be quite amusing, and they require less work to care for. Dogs, on the other hand, will treat you as the alpha dog/leader (which you are), and thus be more openly affectionate, and they do learn tricks, and can be more easily trained. At the same time, dogs who are poorly trained or untrained can be tremendously destructive to both you and others (chewing on food, biting, etc.). Not to mention if you own a dog, you must walk it, regardless of the weather, whether you are sick or tired, or what else.

My personal feeling is that dogs are happiest for people who own a home with a backyard and is within walking distance to a decent park. If you're an apartment or a condo dweller, cats may be more appropriate.

Another key thing to keep in mind is that owning any pet (dog or cat) is a major commitment and so potential owners should be very careful before deciding to adopt or purchase one.

19. Aug 20, 2014 #18

Evo

Yesterday I was sitting talking on the phone and my dog threw his stick and hit me in the head. :devil:

Dogs are a LOT more work.

I still chose both, but I do prefer cats. You get more love for less trouble.

20. Aug 20, 2014 #19

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V9uNrFTOGY

21. Aug 20, 2014 #20

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if cats were incapable of feeling love. I mean, they are solitary animals and don't really depend on eachother. They don't have a pack mentality like dogs or humans. So I'm not sure if love would really be all that beneficial for a cat.

That said, when you have pet cats, they will certainly rub against your legs and sit in your lap. It's clear that they trust completely and that they somehow consider you to be important (maybe they consider you much like their mother). That's something to feel good about: when a normally solitary animal puts their trust in you and brings you food occasionally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook