1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy => bounded?

1. Jun 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Thm: If a sequence is Cauchy than that sequence is bounded.

However Take the partial sums of the series (sigma,n->infinity)(1/n). The partial sums form a series which is Cauchy. But the series diverges so the sequence of partial sums is unbounded.

Sequence of partial sums is Cauchy b/c d(1/x,1/(x+1))=1/(k(k+1)) -> 0 as k->infinity

Have I done something wrong?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you think the sequences of partial sums are cauchy? They aren't.

I cannot begin to decipher what b/c d(..... means.

If S_n means the sum to n terms, what makes you think that given e>0, there is an n(e) such that for all n,m>n(e) we have |S_n - S_m| < e?

It is easy to show this is impossible, using the same idea as to show that the series itself diverges. Remember that

1+1/2+1/3+1/4+1/5+... > 1+(1/2+1/2)+(1/4+1/4+1/4+1/4)+(1/8+1/8+1/8+...) > 1+1+1+1+...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  4. Jun 9, 2007 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is b/c d(.., "because" , the "distance" ...?

As matt suggested, I think you should be less cryptic in your notation.

5. Jun 9, 2007 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's not the definition of Cauchy. A sequence a(n) is Cauchy if for all E > 0, there exist N natural such that for all m and n > N, |a(n) - a(m)| < E. All you've shown is that for all E > 0, there exists some natural N such that |a(N) - a(N+1)| < E, or something like that.

6. Jun 9, 2007 #5
    oh... I thought it was obvious. I actually used b/c in my exam recently to indicate 'because'. Although I used it in the middle of a sentence so hopefully might be less confusing than here.

7. Jun 10, 2007 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you'd've put a 'The' at the start of the sentence to actually make it into a sentence that might have helped. Anyway, have you understood the explanation of your mistake?

8. Jun 10, 2007 #7
    I think I have. Each term in the sequence is a series summed over a finite number of terms. However the larger the number of terms, the larger the sequence gets. Very much unlike Cauchy seqences where a recquirement is that each term in the seqence decreases in magnitude the further out the sequence gets.

9. Jun 10, 2007 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it is perfectly possible to be strictly increasing and still bounded/cauchy

nope, there is nothing that states the terms have to decrease in magnitude. It is the difference between terms in the sequence that is important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?