1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy distribution

1. Dec 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried dividing the two pdf's but that isn't right. If you have X normal and Y normal distributed how can you derive the distribution function of X/Y?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course you don't divide the pdf's. To get the quotient pdf as a function of Z, you take the dirac delta function [itex]\delta(Z-X/Y)[/itex] and integrate it times the pdf's for X and Y, dXdY.

4. Dec 12, 2008 #3

statdad

Homework Helper

Another method (based techniques typically presented early in mathematical stats) is this:

Define these two variables (one you already have)

[tex]
    W = \frac{Z_1}{Z_2}, \quad V = Z_2
    [/tex]

Then

[tex]
    Z_1 = V \cdot W, \quad Z_2 = V
    [/tex]

By their definitions both new random variables range over [tex] (-\infty, \infty) [/tex].

Use the basic ideas for transformation of a joint distribution to get the distribution of [tex] V [/tex] and [tex] W [/tex], then integrate out [tex] V [/tex].

5. Aug 1, 2010 #4
    Hi,

I'm actually going over some probability problems and I got a bit stuck in this one too.

If you let:

W=Z1/Z2 and V=Z2

Then truly Z1=V*W and Z2=V

And if you calculate the Jacobian determinant of such transformations you get:

Jacobian determinant = V (here we take the absolute value when sticking into formula below)

Therefore:

f(w,v) =[​IMG]

and so all you need to get the probability density function of W is to integrate the joint probability with respect to v as follows:

First note that: d/dv (e-v2(1+w2)/2) = -v(1+w2)*e-v2(1+w2)/2

=>[​IMG]

and here is where I seem to be overlooking something, in order to get f(w) you must evaluate the integral from minus infinity to plus infinity and so I believe you get:

[​IMG]

Which is just plainly equal to zero, so I must've done something wrong, can anyone spot what was it? I would appreciate if someone did. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?