Cauchy-Euler Diff. Eqn: Transformation & Solution

• I
  • Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
In summary, Cauchy-Euler is a type of differential equation that can be solved by transforming the variable x into e^t. This transformation allows for the equation to be solved using the product rule for derivatives. The derivative of y with respect to x (dy/dx) can be rewritten as the derivative of y with respect to t (dy/dt) multiplied by 1/x. This can then be used to find the second derivative (d^2y/dx^2) by taking the derivative of f (dy/dt) with respect to x and multiplying it by 1/x, subtracting f/x^2. The term df/dx can also be expressed as (df/dt)(dt/dx).
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Cauchy-Euler is a type of diff equation which is described by

$$a_0x^2(\frac {d^2y} {dx^2})+a_1x(\frac {dy} {dx})+a_2y=F(x)$$

The transformation of ##x=e^t## can solve the equation.

Now, in here I didnt understand how to transform ##\frac {dy} {dx}## to ##\frac {dy} {dt}##.

it goes like this ##\frac {dy} {dx}=\frac {dy} {dt} \frac {1} {x}## and then I am stuck I should take another derivative but I couldn't do it somehow.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##dy/dt = f## and apply the product rule for derivatives when differentiating ##f/x## wrt x.

Orodruin said:
Let ##dy/dt = f## and apply the product rule for derivatives when differentiating ##f/x## wrt x.
Okay hmm

##\frac {dy} {dx}=\frac {f} {x}##
##\frac {d^2y} {dx^2}=\frac {df} {dx} \frac {1} {x}-\frac {f} {x^2}##

now I understand until here, but I didnt understand this term ##\frac {df} {dx}=\frac {d^2y} {dt^2}\frac {1} {x}## which its done in the book.

What is ##df/dx## in terms of ##df/dt##?

Orodruin said:
What is ##df/dx## in terms of ##df/dt##?
##df/dx=(df/dt)(dt/dx)##

I understand it now, thanks :angel:

1. What is the Cauchy-Euler differential equation?

The Cauchy-Euler differential equation, also known as the Euler-Cauchy equation, is a second-order linear differential equation of the form ax2y'' + bxy' + cy = 0, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. What is the transformation method used to solve Cauchy-Euler differential equations?

The transformation method for solving Cauchy-Euler differential equations involves substituting x = et into the equation to transform it into a constant coefficient differential equation, which can then be solved using standard methods.

3. What is the general solution to a Cauchy-Euler differential equation?

The general solution to a Cauchy-Euler differential equation is given by y(x) = C1xm + C2xn, where m and n are the roots of the auxiliary equation ax2 + bx + c = 0 and C1 and C2 are arbitrary constants.

4. What is the particular solution to a Cauchy-Euler differential equation?

The particular solution to a Cauchy-Euler differential equation depends on the form of the right-hand side of the equation. If the right-hand side is a polynomial of degree k, then the particular solution will also be a polynomial of degree k. If the right-hand side is an exponential function, then the particular solution will be a linear combination of exponential functions.

5. How is the Cauchy-Euler differential equation used in real-world applications?

The Cauchy-Euler differential equation is commonly used in engineering and physics to model various physical systems, such as oscillations, vibrations, and heat transfer. It is also used in economics and finance to model growth and decay processes. The solutions to these equations can provide important insights and predictions about the behavior of these systems.